"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
HOLY TRINITY CATHOLIC CHURCH
On September 6, 1894 a guard at FARLEY AND LOETSCHER MANUFACTURING COMPANY noticed smoke coming from the building which was being used to store hay and feed. The fact that a steady rain fell prevented the blaze from spreading to other companies in the area. The building owned by J. P. Schroeder was destroyed at a cost estimated at $3,000 with the contents valued at $4,000. (2)
Continued rapid growth in SACRED HEART CHURCH led Archbishop John J. KEANE to create Holy Trinity parish in 1910. Named after Dubuque's second church, Holy Trinity was erected in 1850 at Eighth and White STREETS. The parish had as its first pastor Rev. Joseph Dupont.
The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 22, 1910, and the completed church was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day of the same year. The Franciscan Fathers of the Sacred Heart Province from St. Louis, assigned to the parish at the direction of Archbishop Keane, erected their friary adjoining the sanctuary.
Due to the increasing enrollment of the school, a new building was constructed and dedicated on Thanksgiving Day 1929. With the availability of the new school, the overcrowded conditions in the church were lessened by the removal of a temporary wall separating the old school from the church. A two-story convent addition was dedicated by Archbishop Leo BINZ in February 1955.
The 1987 through 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 1700 Lincoln.
1. "The Old Stone Church," Dubuque Daily Herald, September 8, 1894, p. 4
2. "Luck Was With Us as Usual," Dubuque Daily Herald, September 7, 1894, p. 4