"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
He came West to Iowa, and settled in Dubuque on November 1, 1853 and bought and sold land. In 1859, he again resumed the practice of law and became mayor. (2)
During his term, he frequently boasted that all city expenses during his administration totaled less than $10,000. The DUBUQUE CITY HALL was completed. A total of 611 wagon, some carrying men from Dubuque, left the city in search of Colorado GOLD. The post office was housed in a building on the north side of 6th Street between Main and Locust or in the ODD FELLOWS TEMPLE on Eighth and Bluff. Fire destroyed this building on June 19, 1859. Francis J. HERRON formed a militia group called the GOVERNOR'S GREYS which saw service beginning in the CIVIL WAR. The JACKSON GUARDS were also organized.
In 1868 Hodgdon was elected president of the board of education and held the office for six years. He declined to run again but did agree to serve as a trustee of the State Asylum for the Blind at Vinton. He also helped organize and then served as a director of the SECOND NATIONAL BANK.
For other civic activities in 1859, enter "1859" in the search feature of this encyclopedia.
1. Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 805
2. "Dubuque Sought Business Methods From Beginning," Telegraph Herald, March 27, 1921, p. 14. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=bi5eAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SmANAAAAIBAJ&pg=6644,4092622&dq=james+fanning+dubuque&hl=en