"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
HIRSCH MAGDAL. In 1910, H. Magdal had been in the salvage business and the same location, 905 Nineteenth Street, for twenty-seven years. He began as a a dealer in scrap iron, metals, and rags. He extended his business into hides, furs, tarrow, and wood around 1910. The company employed between fifteen and twenty year-round for sorting and two traveling salesmen. Purchases of material were made in Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. An estimated five railroad cars of junk was sorted per week during the busy season and one or two cars of hides a month in fall and winter.
The 1915 Dubuque City Directory listed the address as 19th and Pine.
The 1911-12 Dubuque City Directory and the 1918 Dubuque City Directory listed 905 19th as the address.
The 1922 Dubuque Telephone Directory listed 19th and Pinard.
The 1929 through 1945 Dubuque City Directory listed 525 E. 19th.
"Do You Know What Becomes of Old Rags and Junk? Tale of the Traffic," Telegraph Herald, February 20, 1910, p. 8