"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




GLAB BREWERY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo courtesy: Center for Dubuque History
GLAB BREWERY. The Glab Brewery was the successor of the NORTHERN BREWING COMPANY founded by Adam GLAB. Upon his father's death, Nicholas GLAB took over this father's brewery and renamed it.

The Glab Brewery was located on the later site of HOLY GHOST CATHOLIC CHURCH and school. Caves between 30th and 31th STREETS along Central Avenue were owned by the brewery and used for storing their beer. (1) After the brewery was gone, the southern most cave was used for some time to grow mushrooms. When this business declined, there was talk of using the cave in a cheese-making venture to use the cold storage and spring water. (2)

In 1891 an article in the "Dubuque Daily Herald" announced the brewing of two new beers for the holidays. Glab Brothers' "Hoffbrau" and "Extra Pale Pilsener" were said to be

     as mellow as an old apple, with 
     a flavor as delicious as the nectar 
     of the gods, and with a sparkle as 
     clear as the sunlight on the hills of 
     eternal ice. (3)

In 1892 the company joined with other breweries to form the DUBUQUE BREWING AND MALTING COMPANY.

---

Source:

1. Here's Another Picture Query," Telegraph Herald, August 3, 1937, p. 3. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AdFBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=A6oMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1852,1603897&dq=glab+brewery&hl=en

2. Ibid.

3. "Something Nice," Telegraph Herald, Dubuque Daily Herald, December 13, 1891, p. 13. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ZzdRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=99MMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5587,395072&dq=glab+brewery&hl=en

"Historic: 5 Properties, 1 Program Honored," Telegraph Herald, April 21, 2013, p. 11A