Blacksmithing was not an easy business. There was not enough room in the shop for the larger vehicles and much of the repair had to be done outside in the cold of winter or the heat of summer. Many implements had to be handmade. When George Bock died on May 3, 1924 his business was carried on by his sons, Emil and George. Emil was the painter; George was the mechanic.
The business begun by their father also changed. With the development of motorized vehicles, the Bocks gradually converted their business for new work. George Bock became one of the best known men in the business of repairing and rebuilding automobiles. His business also became known for the manufacture of automobile bodies and "storm-proof" cabs.
The company's reputation led to it constructing an "overland auto bus" for use by the Williams Bus line of Platteville, Wisconsin. The fifteen-passenger bus for use between Platteville, Cuba City and Dubuque had six doors--five on the right and a driver's on the left. The windows dropped down for ventilation while an advertisement said heat was "provided by the engine." The bus was painted in battleship gray while the interior, illuminated by three dome lights, was upholstered in tan fabric.
In 1931 George Bock, Jr., chairman of the constitution committee, was the toastmaster of the Iowa State Association of Horseshoers and Blacksmiths when it met in Spencer, Iowa.
The 1934 through the 1951 Dubuque City Directory listed 2231 Central.
The 1955 through 1962 Dubuque City Directory listed the George Bock Company at this address.