"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
G. B. GROSVENOR COMPANY
G. B. GROSVENOR COMPANY. Articles of incorporation of this company were filed on January 6, 1893. The purpose of the corporation was to continue the wholesale and retail business of G. B. Grosvenor. The incorporation was to last five years with the option of continuing another five years. The incorporators were D. J. Linehan, George Grosvenor, and George S. Barnard. The initial officers were Graham Grosvenor, president; Delos E. LYON, vice-president; and William M. Clewell, secretary/treasurer. (1)
On February 2, 1894 it was announced that the retail part of the business had been sold to George S. Barnard, William M. Clewell, and R. S. Walker. This business, capitalized at $25,000, would be known as Barnard, Walker and Clewell. G. B. Grosvenor would continue the wholesale business. (2)
The 1886-87 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory listed 744 to 752 Main.
The 1899-1900 through 1904-1905 Dubuque City Directory located this business at 513 Main.
1. "A New Corporation," Dubuque Daily Herald, January 7, 1893, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18930107&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Barnard, Walker & Clewell," Dubuque Daily Herald, February 2, 1894, p. 4