"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




FENGLER, George

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search

Family History: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ledzep&id=I02992

George Fengler
FENGLER, George. (Breslau, Germany, Apr. 9, 1841-Dubuque, IA, Apr. 28, 1900). Fengler, who came to Dubuque with his parents in 1849, established the EAGLE POINT LIME WORKS in 1872. His business, the largest of its kind in the city, had a production of two hundred fifty barrels of lime daily and an employment of thirty men. Fengler shipped his lime throughout Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas. Fengler also sold brick, cement and hair used in building materials.

Fengler saw service during the CIVIL WAR and participated in the siege of Vicksburg. Upon returning to Dubuque, Fengler helped organize and then became vice-president and director of the People's Building and Loan Association.

In 1889 he began four years of service as United States Surveyor of Customs, a position to which President William Henry Harrison appointed him. He served three years as a member of the city council as a representative of the Fifth Ward. Fengler, an early advocate for the construction of a bridge across the MISSISSIPPI RIVER into Wisconsin, chaired the meetings used to whip up support for the project. At his death, his son Ernest FENGLER took up the task and eventually served as one of the directors of the bridge company.

See: George Fengler

---

Source:

Oldt, Franklin. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 787-788

Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1894, p. 221