"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
F. M. JAEGER HARDWARE
F. M. JAEGER HARDWARE. A hardware business was established in 1860 by John McClay who conducted it until 1880. For five years, Messrs. Schreiber and Conchar were the owners. They sold it in 1885 to Messrs. Reinfried and Leckie, and two years later Francis Jaeger purchased the Leckie interest. (1)
Ten years later [abt 1897] Mr. Frank M. JAEGER purchased the Reinfried interest. The Mr. Reinfried mentioned was the husband of Susan Jaeger, who was Francis Jaeger's cousin (the daughter of Johann Jaeger), so the business was developed and sold within the family. (2) In 1930 the largest percent of the company's business was wholesale dealing in builders' hardware, sporting goods and contractors' supplies. The territory of the company included Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois. (3)
The 1909 through the 1923 Dubuque City Directory listed 768 Main as the address.
The 1929 through 1970 Dubuque City Directory listed 622 Main.
The 1972 through 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 998 Central.
1. Goodspeed, Weston Arthur, History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Goodspeed Historical Association, 1911, p. 753
3. "Jaeger Hardware Has Model Store," Telegraph-Herald, August 24, 1930, p. 22
Chronology '79, Telegraph Herald, p. 5
The History of Dubuque County, "How the Jaegers Emigrated from Jugesheim, Hesse-Darmstadt to Dubuque, Iowa" (http://home.comcast.net/~jaegerz/emigration.htm)