"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




EZEKIEL AND NANCY LOCKWOOD--261-269 MAIN

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Mccoysg.jpg
EZEKIEL AND NANCY LOCKWOOD--261-269 MAIN. In 1838 261-269 Main was purchased by the Lockwoods from the MINERS' BANK. It remained in their family until 1878 when it was sold to James Watters and Thomas Coates. The building remained commercial property with three storefronts on the first floor. The second and third floors were used as housing for renters.

William LAWTHER, Jr. purchased the building in 1903 to use for his real estate business. In 1960 the building was sold to Edmund and Odelia Gartner as headquarters for their printing company. When they moved GARTNER PRINTING COMPANY to Central, the building was leased and then sold to MCCOY GOLDSMITH SHOP.

---

Source:

2001 "House Tour" brochure by the Old House Enthusiasts