"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




E. B. PIEKENBROCK AND SONS

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
E. B. PIEKENBROCK AND SONS. Dating back to 1866 when the company was founded by E. B. Piekenbrock and F.J. Deuss, the business became one of the largest manufacturers of footwear in the region. In 1883 Mr. Piekenbrock bought out his partner and became the sole owner.

The company name was later changed to E.B. Piekenbrock and Sons. The company made a specialty of men's work shoes and of women's, misses' and children's fine shoes.

Trade card.
Ebp.png
Photo courtesy: Diane Harris
Shipping case. Photo courtesy: Joseph Jacobsmeier

Until 1903 the company had limited itself to wholesaling shoes and overshoes. In that year, however, a factory was established under the name of E. B. PIEKENBROCK SHOE MANUFACTURING COMPANY. In 1910 the company was the agency in Iowa for the Boston and Bay State Rubber Company. Expectations were that annually 400 railroad cars of rubbers and storm shoes would be sold.

In 1911 the firm located at 205 Main employed one hundred workers who produced six hundred pairs of shoes daily. The best known was the "Star of the West," double wear work shoes. The company was also known for its line of "Lady Like" shoes and the "Boston" and "Bay State" rubbers. Fourteen salesmen carried the company's products into Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, and the Dakotas.

The business closed during the GREAT DEPRESSION.

---

Source:

"Dubuque's Three Big Shoe Factories Supply Footware to Vast Territory," Telegraph Herald, January 25, 1910, p. 1

The 1884-1885 Dubuque City Directory gave 456 Main as the address.

The 1899-1900 Dubuque City Directory located this business at 456 Main.

The 1915 Dubuque City Directory and the 1918 Dubuque City Directory listed the address as 205-19 Main.


Trade card
Bootsletter.png
Order form/letterhead courtesy: Diane Harris
Paper weight.