"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN




DUBUQUE STAMPING AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
2010 photograph
DUBUQUE STAMPING AND MANUFACTURING. Dubuque Stamping and Manufacturing, Inc. was established in 1948 as a division of Toledo (Ohio) Stamping and Manufacturing. The Dubuque facility, which has been at the same location (32nd and Jackson STREETS) since its formation, was originally created to manufacture rocker arms for various original equipment manufacturers in the agricultural and construction industries. The original building was 30,000 square feet and was previously the Piekenbrock Shoe Company. The company started with seven employees.
Metal label. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
In 1958, the farm equipment section began probing possibilities in the farm equipment industry. Manufactured under the trade name, Farm-Eze, the company's first product was a barn cleaner marketed in 1959. The following year the first 130 bushel single beater manure spreader was unveiled. In 1961, a 160 bushel single beater version was marketed. Dubuque Stamping displayed the cross conveyor bunk feeder attachment and power unloader, the unitized power box, and the 270 bushel truck-mounted manure spreader in 1962. The company was especially pleased with its cattle feeder, the first successful endless-belt feeder ever made. Tested on the experimental farms of several state universities including Iowa State and the University of Mississippi, the feeder was capable of handling 750 head of cattle simultaneously. Among the other products designed in the Dubuque plant was the "Bump-omatic Gate," New in design and concept, the gate could be opened from either side when a center lever was hit by the bumper of a car or by the front of a tractor. Once the vehicle was driven through, the gate closed automatically.
1976 advertisement. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

The farm equipment division accounted for much of the company's expansion. Eventually the Farm-Eze name was found in every state of the union with the exception of Arizona. Dubuque Stamping even had distributors in Canada and Australia. For at least one year, Farm-Eze spreaders outsold all of the other thirty-six competitors. Increasing sales led the Dubuque plant to increase its workforce from 150 to 163 and expand to two shifts. In the early 1980s, this division was sold.

The Stamping Division continued to grow and went through several ownership changes. In the mid-1070s, Toledo Stamping, including its Dubuque Division, was sold to Bendix Corporation, which was purchased shortly thereafter by the Allied Signal Corporation. In 1984 Paul L. BRITT purchased Dubuque Stamping from Allied Signal Corporation. Mr. Britt had been associated with the company since 1950 and was determined to keep the stamping operation in Dubuque.

Mr. Britt passed away in 1992 and his wife, Bernilda L. Britt, took over active management of the company. On June 1, 1995, Mrs. Britt sold the firm to Larry H. Richey and David W. Spahn, both employees and native Dubuque residents, again with the intention that the firm stay in Dubuque. In 1998 the company occupied over 100,000 square feet and had 155 employees.

The 1970 through 2014 Dubuque City Directory listed E. 32nd St. and corner of Jackson.