DUBUQUE SOCIALER TURNVEREIN
The European founder of the Society was Frederick Ludwig Jahn. Beginning in 1810 Jahn advocated bringing youth together for gymnastic practice and patriotic indoctrination. His motto was, Mens sana in Corpore sano, meaning "a sound mind in a sound body." Prussian government officials liked his plan and established a Turnverein school at Berlin in 1811. Prussian military units adopted his calisthenics. Each regiment had its equipment. In its effort to expand the intellect, the Turnverein became champions of public education that they supported to the point of enforcing attendance by penalty. The Society came to New York in 1848.
The names of the founders of the society in Dubuque were George Weigel (died in 1854), Fred Wetzel, William Smith, Frederick JENKEL, Charles Kerlike, F. E. DEGGENDORF, Hugo Deggendorf, J. Kutscli and Gustave Ebert. (1)
The Dubuque Turnverin, or "Dubuque Social Society", first met in the upper story of a brick building at the southwest corner of Sixth and Iowa STREETS. The Society experienced great growth in 1865 and 1866 when the membership reached seventy. Such membership growth led, in 1873, to the Society purchasing a site at the southeast corner of Ninth and Iowa Streets. A building once occupied by a carriage factory was remodeled and equipped with a dance hall, stage, and gymnasium. This became the well-known Turner Hall in which many fine German theatrical companies and stock companies performed and popular musicals and social activities were held.
Joseph A. RHOMBERG presented the Society with a fine library in 1867 and was made an honorary member. A Dubuque resident given honorary membership for his efforts in promoting the welfare of the Society was Christian WULLWEBER, once the United States minister to Quito, Ecuador.
Membership in the Society sank to twenty between 1880 and 1883. The enrollment of many young members in the fall of 1884 ensured the continuation of the organization.
In 1889, with only five hundred dollars to pay on the $13,000 used for remodeling, the Society realized their frame building was no longer adequate. A fair and bazaar, from which a ladies auxiliary formed with the name of "Harmonie Damen Verein," raised money to payoff the remaining debt and begin construction of a brick structure. The building committee was headed by Arbst F. FRUDDEN. The cornerstone of the new building was laid on August 17, 1890, before a crowd estimated at 1,500.
On Apri1 22, 1897, Turner Hall witnessed a banquet and ball celebrating the reorganization of the Society. With Arbst F. Frudden as president; Charles Sass, vice-president; P. Sahm, secretary; and John Pier, treasurer, the organization was renamed the Germania Society.
1. Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 129