DUBUQUE SAVINGS INSTITUTION
DUBUQUE SAVINGS INSTITUTION. The Dubuque Savings Institution was established in February, 1866, with $100,000 capital and George A. Blanchard, president, and Richard A. BABBAGE, secretary and treasurer.
In January 1874, Hancock paid $4,500 in cash to company, the full extent of his liability to the depositors as a stockholder of the company. This allowed the receiver to pay off the 20% dividend declared on January 24, 1874.
1. "Paid His Share," Dubuque Herald, January 24, 1874, p. 4. https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18740124&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-16-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml
"Butchers, Bankers, and Cabinet Makers," Booklet accompanying the Robert Reding exhibit at the OLD JAIL 2007-2010