"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




DUBUQUE SALVATION ARMY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Sarmy.jpg
DUBUQUE SALVATION ARMY. The Salvation Army began in 1865 when William Booth, a London minister, gave up the comfort of his pulpit and decided to take his message into the streets where it would reach the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute. (1)

His original aim was to send converts to established churches of the day, but soon he realized that the poor did not feel comfortable or welcome in the pews of most of the churches and chapels of Victorian England. Regular churchgoers were appalled when these shabbily dressed, unwashed people came to join them in worship. Booth decided to found a church especially for them - the East London Christian Mission. The mission grew slowly, but Booth's faith in God remained undiminished. (2)

In May 1878, Booth summoned his son, Bramwell, and his good friend George Railton to read a proof of the Christian Mission's annual report. At the top it read: THE CHRISTIAN MISSION is A VOLUNTEER ARMY. Bramwell strongly objected to this wording. He was not a volunteer: he was compelled to do God's work. So, in a flash of inspiration, Booth crossed out 'Volunteer' and wrote 'Salvation'. The Salvation Army was born. (3)

The Salvation Army has had the following locations in Dubuque: (4)

                  1888.....................  1035 Main
                  Lapse of nine years
                  4/1907...................  83 Hill Street
                  10/1907..................  473 Main
                  12/1908..................  786 Locust
                  11/1912..................  567 1/2 Main
                   5/1915..................  130 Julien Avenue
                   8/1915..................  567 1/2 Main
                  11/1918..................  256 6th Street
                  12/1918..................  521 Main
                  1947.....................  1201 Jackson
                  1971 to present..........  1099 Iowa Street

In the spring of 2013, The Salvation Army was notified that Erwin and Alice HAFEMAN had named the organization in its estate. Using some of the money, the kitchens were remodeled, the ventilation system was improved, the chapel and upstairs were repaired, and a new floor upstairs and blinds were installed. Plans were made to remodel the existing rest rooms. The Erwin and Alice Hafeman Senior Center was dedicated on May 12, 2015. The remaining funds were located at the Territorial Headquarters in Chicago for building projects and future social service programs. (5)

---

Source:

1. "History," The Salvation Army. Online: http://www.salvationarmy.org/ihq/history

2. "Dedication of the Erwin and Alice Hafeman Senior Center," May 12, 2015 Dubuque Salvation Army

3. Ibid.