"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.

Difference between revisions of "DUBUQUE OATMEAL MILL"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 14: Line 14:
[[Category: Miller]]
[[Category: Flour and Feed]]

Revision as of 21:13, 18 January 2014

Dubuque Oatmeal powerhouse at 7th and Washington. Undated photo. Library of Congress.
DUBUQUE OATMEAL MILL. The mill was established around 1878 by Wallace and Christie. It was reorganized in 1881 and operated as a stock company. The officers were Julius K. Graves, president; William Christie, vice-president and manager; and C. J. Brayton, secretary and treasurer. The directors included William ANDREW, Julius K. Graves, William Christie, Henry L. STOUT, and John BELL.

On July 16, 1886 at 7:00 p.m. a fire alarm was sounded but within minutes the building was totally destroyed.

The 1884-1885 Dubuque City Directory listed 7th and Washington as the address.

The 1886-87 Dubuque City Directory listed the northeast corner of 7th and Washington.

The site was later used by MARTIN-STRELAU CO. (THE)