"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE FURNITURE AND BURIAL CASE COMPANY
The company manufactured all kinds of furniture including parlor suites, bookcases, bureaus, easy and rocking chairs, sofas, lounges, brackets, stands, and sideboards. It also made coffins and burial cases. (2)
The business was managed by a board of directors including John Hartman, Henry HUBER, and A. Koester. Fifty people were employed with weekly wages equaling $300.
In 1877 the company purchased the business and all the supplies of SADLER, WAGNER & CO. (3)
The 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory listed the corner of 18th and Washington.
The 1880 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was found at 584 Main.
The 1884-1885 and 1886-87 Dubuque City Directory listed 576-584 Main as the address.
In June 1891 it was announced that the building had been chosen as the site for the DUBUQUE SPECIALTY MACHINE WORKS. (4)
1. Oldt, Franklin. The History of Dubuque County, Iowa, Chicago: Western History Company, 1880, p. 887
2. "Furniture and Burial Case Company," Dubuque Herald, November 2, 1879, P. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18791102&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
3. "The Dubuque Furniture and Burial Case Company," Dubuque Herald, March 2, 1876, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18770302&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
4. "Municipal Molecules," Dubuque Daily Herald, June 28, 1891, p. 8