DUBUQUE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Superintendents of the Dubuque Community School District
1856 Chandler Childs
1863 Dr. T. Mason
1910 Franklin T. OLDT
1910 1921 James H. Harris
1921 1926 Otis P. Flower
1926 1927 Charles Prall
1927 1930 Fred G. Stevenson
1930 1940 Earl D. Cline
1940 1947 Jordan L. Larson
(1942-1943) (1944-1945) A.W. Merrill, Acting Supt.
1947 1966 Dr. Max CLARK
1966 1977 Dr. Garlyn WESSELS
1977 1992 Dr. Howard PIGG
1992 1994 Diana LAM
1994 1996 Dr. Marvin O’HARE
1996 1999 Dr. Joel MORRIS
1999 2002 Dr. Jane PETREK
2002 2009 John L. BURGART (Interim 6/02-1/03)
2009 5/3/12 Dr. Larie GODINEZ
5/3/12 9/19/12 Stan RHEINGANS (Interim Superintendent)
9/19 Stan RHEINGANS
DUBUQUE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT. The law enabling the organization of school districts in Iowa was passed by the First Legislative Assembly that met at Burlington, Iowa, on November 12, 1838. The Second Legislative Assembly, convened in January 1840, passed additional laws allowing communities to establish a complete system of public schools.
Despite this early interest in schools by the State, nothing was done to establish public education in Dubuque until the spring of 1844. A number of private schools were then operating in the city.
In April 1844, a tax levy was approved and Board of Education officers were elected. These included Warner LEWIS, president; J. J. E. Norman, secretary; Timothy MASON, treasurer; and William CARTER, director. This board arranged with private schools to accept any children living within the district. Tuition would be paid on a per capita basis. Money remaining in the treasury after the payment of tuition was used to purchase school sites in the First and Third Wards. Records indicate no further activity of the Board until 1849 when a tax was levied which yielded $1,396.
During 1850 contracts were issued for the construction of two one-story brick schools, one in the First Ward and the other for the Third Ward. Soon after the buildings were completed, the District ran into financial difficulties and the buildings were sold under the Mechanics Lien laws. During 1851, Directors of the Third Ward District redeemed their school building. A school census in 1855 indicated that 3,466 children resided within the city.
Dubuque's slow movement toward establishing a school system led the State legislature in 1855 to pass a law making the City of Dubuque a permanent school district. The law further authorized the City Council to appoint a Board of Education to serve until the next city election.
No action was taken on this matter by the City Council until January 21, 1856. The City Council then created a Board of Education consisting of the MAYOR and one member from each ward in the city. The Mayor, City Recorder, and City Treasurer were all given ex-officio status on the new Board. Members of this Board included John G. SHIELDS, the mayor; Dennis MAHONY, First Ward; James A. Reid, Second Ward; James Burt, Third Ward; James R. Goodrich, Fourth Ward, and C. B. Waples, Fifth Ward. At the board's first meeting on February 7, 1856, Mahony was elected President pro tempore.
Disagreement with the City Council soon erupted over whether the Board had the authority to buy or exchange real estate. On March 10, 1856, the City Council adopted an ordinance that repealed the appointment of the first board. A new board was named including H. A. Wiltse, Frederick. Ezekiel BISSELL, J. J. E. Norman, J. A. Reed, and S. M. Case. The board first met on March 11 and elected H. W. Wiltse as its president.
In April, 1856 the city owned three school lots and two school houses, both houses capable of accommodating only one hundred forty pupils. The Board immediately organized temporary schools in different parts of the city until new houses could be erected. This board acted on many items. The school board surveyed the city to find there were 2,808 children of school age but because only private schools were operating just 300 children were actually getting an education. Textbooks for primary and secondary grades were adopted, teaching candidates were examined, Prescott and Franklin schools were opened, and plans were drawn for the opening of schools in two sites on the hill and one along Southern Avenue.
Since school facilities were rapidly proving inadequate for handling such large classes, it was decided that no child under six would be enrolled. Any student absent for over five hours in one week for any reason other than illness would be dismissed for the rest of the term.
Teachers were prohibited from enrolling African American children, as such an action would be illegal. A limit of sixty students per teacher was set in the Third Ward School. A limit of fifty students per teacher was established in the Fifth Ward School. The academic year was divided into three terms, and a resolution forbidding the use of tobacco in the schools was adopted. Continued friction between the Board and City Council was shown when the Board censured the Council for appointing a committee to inspect the Third Ward School.
During 1857-1858 financial difficulties for the District led to warrants being issued with rates of interest as high as 4 percent per month. Proceeds from the sale of warrants were placed in a fund for the purchase of fuel. A petition from several teachers asking that they be paid in currency or GOLD was denied as the Board had only SCRIP to offer.
In the autumn of 1858 a serious controversy developed between the school authorities and the city council concerning the ownership of the school property in the city. It was vested in the city, but the school officers insisted it should be vested in their name and that they should have sole and exclusive jurisdiction over the same. The city council could not see the matter in the same light. Accordingly an agreed case was made an issue and argued by J. David, George L. NIGHTENGALE and David S. WILSON for the city, and J. E. Bissell for the school authorities.
The dismal financial condition of the District continued to be an issue in 1858-1859. A report of the board secretary showed that teachers lost $276.15 being paid in scrip that local merchants often discounted. The District Township School District of Dubuque was formed in accordance with laws passed during the previous session of the legislature. During the year, controversy arose over reading of the Bible in the schools.STREETS. To enroll, students needed to pass an examination in arithmetic, geography, grammar, and history.
The following year, the District found the high school needed larger quarters. The DUBUQUE FEMALE SEMINARY building was purchased. George Wallace JONES donated books for the school's library. Classes began on January 3, 1859, but the poor financial condition of the District and the start of the CIVIL WAR led to the school closing before the end of the first term.
The District was only able to operate primary, secondary and grammar school classes when the teachers agreed to work for half salary. All schools were closed for the first term during the 1861-1862 academic year, but were reopened in January 1862.
In 1862-1863 the District purchased the Turner Hall building later occupied by the playground of PRESCOTT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. The high school was opened in 1865 on the top floor with primary students on the lower floors. A large room was subdivided into classrooms and this remained the local high school until 1895.
Records indicate that the average attendance in the high school was 71 students. An exhibition was held in 1874 by students to raise money to purchase a collection of Iowa minerals and a piano. In 1874-1875 a student request to use one of the rooms for a gym was granted. The students, however, had to equip the room and obtain an architect's notice that the activities would not damage the building.
During the 1864-1865 school year a petition was received by the Board asking that a school for African-American children be opened. Since a private school for these students was open at the time, the Board chose to pay the operator of the school ten dollars per month from May 1, 1864, for each student enrolled.
Educational quality was on the minds of Board members when, in 1865-1866, they chose to examine all candidates for teaching positions and those already employed as teachers. Persons receiving the highest average on the examinations would be rewarded with employment. The petition for a school for African-American students was again presented. This time the Board rented a church basement and began the school on March 5, 1866. Of the 4,867 school age students in the District, the secretary's report indicated that 2,364 children were enrolled. The average daily attendance was 1,853.
Reported price gouging by local bookstores angered the Board in 1867. The Board responded by passing a resolution requesting local bookstores to reduce their prices to those charged by stores in Chicago or face the possibility of the Board operating its own bookstore. Teachers were made financially responsible for any books lost or destroyed.
Crowding in the First and Fifth Ward Schools during the 1868-1869 school year led to classes being divided into morning and afternoon shifts. A request by the German Catholic Congregation School to be considered a public school so that it could share in the school revenues was denied. The Board pointed to the presence of other private schools in Dubuque and that the school was not part of the jurisdiction of the Board of Directors.
The first graduation from a high school in Dubuque took place in 1870. Students of the high school, with additional citizen support, purchased an organ for the school and presented it to the Board. The Secretary's Report indicated 6,929 children lived within the District and that 2,721 attended public schools. With six male and fifty-seven female teachers, the student-teacher ratio was 43:1.
Vandalism plagued the District during 1872--1873 to the degree that the Board requested the mayor deputize building janitors as special police.
The school year of 1875-1876 witnessed the beginning of German instruction in the ward schools and the start of a fifteen-minute recess during morning and afternoon sessions. The Board denied the right of African American children to attend ward schools by claiming that the teacher at their school was capable of instructing children through the sixteenth year. The Board did approve any African American child completing the sixteenth year attending high school.
High school courses beginning in the 1876-1877 school year were divided into three classes. Business courses lasted three years. Classical and Latin scientific each required four years to complete. Students graduating with an average of ninety or better from the four-year courses were presented a Teacher's Grammar Certificate. Those graduating with an average from eighty to ninety received Teacher's Secondary Certificates upon application. Only twenty-five students graduated from the three-year course. By 1877 most courses were extended to four years. Four year Latin scientific and classical courses were continued after 1877 along with two-year business courses. After 1885 the classical course was discontinued. In 1895 the Board of Education realized that most students were enrolling in the two-year business course. This program was soon discontinued, and high school became a four-year program.
African American children attempted to attend ward schools during the winter of 1876-1877, but were denied admission. The Board was taken to District Court, but instructed its counsel not to offer any defense. All pupils withdrew from the African American school on February 14, 1877, and the building was closed.
Board member Jane D. Jennings resigned on January 24, 1881, because he had changed his party affiliation at the last election. An unwritten rule that the community supported provided that the membership on the Board would be evenly divided between the two political parties. Filling his vacancy was Moses M. HAM.
Drawing was started in the schools during the 1880-1881 academic year. Since the Board did not wish to hire specialists, teachers were requested to attend classes to learn how to teach the new subject.
Drug education started in the District during the 1886-1887 school year. A course, written to comply with a new state law, was introduced which showed the effects of alcohol, stimulants and narcotics on the human body. The student teacher ratio had risen to 54:1.
With as many as 60 students standing without a place to sit, calls were made for a new high school. Dubuque voters passed a tax for a new building in March 1893. A site was chosen on 15th and Locust. CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL was dedicated on January 17, 1895. The new school accepted 110 students on February 4, 1895.
In the 1890s when the high school was built on Fifteen and Locust Street, Joseph HEROD as Treasurer of the School Board, was the watch dog of the construction. His reward was one dozen cut glass tumblers. As school treasurer, Herod made the round of schools to pay the teachers in hard cash. He was always received with a smile. The receipt form was signed promptly and on to the next room--then the next school.
Schools were renamed with no clue for whom they were named on September 23, 1889. The schools with their former and new names were: First Ward School--FRANKLIN SCHOOL Third Ward School--PRESCOTT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Fourth Ward School--LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Fifth Ward School--AUDUBON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL West Dubuque School--IRVING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Couler Avenue School--FULTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Eagle Point School--MARSHALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL West Locust Street School--JACKSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL South Dodge Street School--BRYANT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Dodge Street School--Morse School
Lots 359 and 360 at the corner of 17th and White Streets were purchased for $700.00 and for $2,576.65. The PETER COOPER SCHOOL was constructed on this site.
In 1892 Irving School, rebuilt after being destroyed by fire the same year, became the first public school in the District to be heated by steam and provided with indoor toilets. Truch, Southworth and Company were granted permission to mine beneath the Lincoln School grounds for two years.CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL. The P. J. Lee lots at the corner of 15th and Locust were purchased for $15,000. G. Stanley Mansfield of Freeport, Illinois, was employed as the architect. The high school, dedicated on January 17, 1895, was occupied by students on February 4, 1895, and was used until the opening of DUBUQUE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL in 1923. The 1894-1895 school year also saw the District begin kindergarten classes.
Teachers' salaries were studied by a committee of the Board during the 1897-1898 school year. After comparing salaries in Dubuque with surrounding cities, the committee's report was adopted, and some salaries were cut.
In January, 1898, Dubuque had thirteen public school buildings and had in all seventeen buildings used for schools. There were enrolled 5,756 children and 125 teachers. (Oldt, p. 22)
During 1898-1899 a resolution was introduced to include music in the curriculum. The resolution was defeated by the Board in a vote of four to one. The faculty of the District then consisted of sixteen men and one hundred twelve women that, with the student enrollment of 5,174, resulted in a student-teacher ratio of 40:1.
In January, 1904, Prof. F. T. Oldt, historian and future Dubuque superintendent, served as chairman of the committee on phonetic spelling at the State Teachers' Convention in Des Moines. He introduced resolutions, which were adopted, endorsing the simplified spelling of such words as thoro, thru, demogog, thorofare, etc. (Oldt)
Dubuque schools received a gold medal for written work and shared another gold medal with the East Des Moines and Burlington Schools for best drawings submitted as part of the Iowa State Exhibit at the St. Louis World's Fair during the 1904—1905 school year. In his first annual report to the Board, John McCabe, the new truant officer, detailed the one hundred five cases he had investigated since taking office. In 1906 "OLD FIFTH" was torn down.
In June 1909 St. Raphael's school petitioned to be accredited to the high school. The school board's committee on course of study reported that pupils from any parochial school whose course of study was presented to the city superintendent and approved by him could be admitted to the high school upon conditions similar to those governing the admission of pupils from the grammar department of the public schools.
The pupils of the upper eight grades were given two tests at times designated by the superintendent. If the combined average from the average of the monthly report marks and the test average in any subject was 80 or more, the pupil would be excused from the final examination in that subject. If the average was less than 80, a final examination would have to be taken with the questions furnished by the superintendent. When final examinations were necessary, the general average required for promotion would have to be 75 or more and the minimum in arithmetic and grammar had to be at least 70. At the close of every semester, a complete report giving monthly report, test and final examination marks of all the pupils of the grade were given to the superintendent on forms provided by him.
FRATERNITIES/SORORITIES in the high school were banned by action of the Board in 1913-1914. Members of Zeta Beta Psi and Iota Beta Phi sororities and Alpha Omega, Phi Sigma, Phi Delta and Phi Sigma fraternities resigned during the 1914--1915 school year to comply with the Board ruling.
On October 6, 1916, a petition was filed with the Board for the construction of a new Bryant Elementary School. Of the 11,427 children living within the District, 3,152 attended public school. With the staff numbering fifteen men and one hundred thirty-one women the student teacher ratio was 27:1.
In 1918 the board of education was praised for encouraging children in Dubuque to learn how to swim. The interest was a result of a census taken in the latter part of May in the high school and the upper grammar grades of the public schools. The census found that 276 pupils in the high school and 311 in the seventh and eighth grades of the grammar schools were unable to swim. Of the total 587 students, 526 indicated an interest in learning. This was nearly two-thirds of the boys and girls between the ages of twelve and eighteen. In July the board announced that swimming lessons would be provided beginning on July 9th at the municipal bathing beach near EAGLE POINT. The instructor for the boys was Mr. G. H. Westby of Chicago. Miss Ella H. Schneider of Chicago was hired to teach swimming to the girls.SISTERS OF CHARITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY (BVM), cost $45,335. Teachers with five or more years of experience received a salary increase effective in 1921 of $400. Teachers with less experience received $30. On June 3, 1920, voters approved a proposal to erect two junior high schools.
Sites for the junior high schools (now WASHINGTON MIDDLE SCHOOL and JEFFERSON MIDDLE SCHOOL) were selected on April 22, 1921, and January 7, 1922, respectively. The Board adopted a resolution during the 1922-1923 school year barring the employment of married women as teachers.
In 1923 Superintendent Otis P. Flower introduced the the new system of 6-3-3 school organization. Such an organization "would place children of various mental capacity in various groups for more efficient development."
In 1923 the COMMITTEE OF NINE completed its investigation of grade school textbooks for alleged un-American materials.
In 1927 the District created the position of dean of girls at the high school. The first person to hold the job was Harriet Greenhow, a former principal of LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL and then the head of the Latin department at the high school.
During the 1928-1929 academic year, junior high classes at Central School were discontinued. Classes for the deaf, handicapped and part-time were moved to the building.
The Peter Cooper School was closed during the 1930-1931 school year. Voters in 1932 approved a plan to sell the building and place the money in the School House Fund. During the same year the practice of renting textbooks was started at Washington Junior High School. Financial problems returned to the District, and 10 percent of all salaries were withheld for balancing the budget. At the end of the year, 60 percent of the money withheld was repaid to the employees.
In an effort to balance the budget, salaries were again reduced by 10 percent during the 1933-1934 year with an additional 10 percent coming from salaries exceeding one hundred dollars per month. At the end of the year, 75 percent of the withheld money was repaid.
The 10 percent reduction was used again during the 1935-1936 year with 30 percent of the withheld money returned. The teaching contract of Frederick Wilhelm KALTENBACH was not renewed, and the MURALS at Dubuque Senior were completed under the direction of Cyril FERRING, a former student.
In 1936-1937 the Dubuque Teachers Association asked the District to begin payment of salaries in twelve equal installments. Each paycheck was issued on the first day of the month.
In 1937 officials of the American Federation of Labor were told by members of the Board of Education that the organization of teachers into a union was a matter that "rested entirely with the teachers themselves." John J. Brown, A. F. of L. organizer, announced that he would ask Miss Helen Kintzinger, president of the Dubuque Teachers' Association, to call a meeting of the executive committee of the organization to consider the issue. Board members offered the services of Superintendent Earl C. Cline "to call a meeting of the teachers of the proposal met with the approval of the association's executive committee." (Telegraph Herald, Oct. 10, 1937, p. 5)DUBUQUE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL gymnasium.
On September 26, 1938, Dubuque voters approved by a vote of 4,763 to 1,265 to issue bonds for the construction of schools to replace Bryant, Fulton, Lincoln, and Marshal. A resolution was adopted on November 10,1938, to accept a grant from the federal government to help in the construction of the schools in a sum not to exceed $343,636. Marshall was accepted as completed on January 23, 1940. Bryant was accepted on February 23, 1940. Lincoln was accepted on April 1, 1941, and Fulton was accepted on April 16.
During 1941-1942 the Board adopted a rule that required all teachers to attend summer school and obtain a minimum of six hours of credit every six years. The federal government requested students in manual training classes during the same year to build airplane models to be used in the instruction of airplane spotters.
To enable more women to enter the workforce during WORLD WAR II, the District began a day nursery at Audubon School for young children during the 1942-1943 academic year. In 1944 a second nursery was opened at Fulton School.
An epidemic of POLIO delayed the opening of school for one month in 1943. The same year a School Site Fund was created and funded by all delinquent taxes collected.
In 1946 the single salary schedule for teachers was adopted. The same year teachers received a two hundred dollar salary increase. On July 9, 1947, part of the Center Grove School District was annexed. This was followed on October 10 by the Oakville School District.
The start of school in 1949 was again delayed by poliomyelitis. A strike by coal miners left the District with a fuel shortage. Temperatures in the schools were lowered, and all after-school and evening activities were cancelled.
Construction contracts for the erection of a new Irving Elementary School were awarded in 1952. The building was dedicated on October 28, 1953, and WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH purchased the site of the old Irving School. Audubon School opened a classroom on a half-time basis in the fall of 1954 for the teaching of the mentally handicapped.
The merger of the Independent School District of Dubuque and the Independent School District of Center Grove was approved effective July 1, 1956. On December 10, 1956, the Board passed a resolution changing the name of the District from the Independent School District of Dubuque to the Dubuque Community School District. Merger with the Asbury Independent School District was approved effective July I, 1957.
Mergers with other districts occurred frequently. The District merged with the Stone Hill School District during the 1958-1959 academic year. The following year a resolution was approved merging the Dubuque district with the Rural Independent School District of Julien. The actual merger occurred July 1, 1960. The District agreed to merge with the Derby Grange Rural Independent School District (effective July 1, 1961), but denied the merger application of the Wilton Rural Independent School District, preferring to merge with only one district annually. In 1961 a petition to merge with the Table Mound Township School District was received. This was completed in 1962. Wilton Rural Independent School District merged with Dubuque on July 8, 1963. During the 1963-1964 school year the Board set aside its limitation on mergers as five rural school districts (Salem Rural Independent, Washington Township, St. Joseph Rural Independent, Mosalem Township and Center Township) joined Dubuque.
In testimonial to Wilbur DALZELL for his forty-three years of distinguished service to the District, the Board passed a resolution during the 1964-1965 academic year to name the athletic field at Senior High in his honor.
Dr. Garlyn WESSELS succeeded Max CLARK as superintendent of schools in 1965 at an annual salary of $16,000. Dr. Howard PIGG was introduced as the new assistant superintendent. To comply with state law that all areas of the state be part of a K-12 school district, the County Board of Education announced that the following were attached to the Dubuque Community School District effective July 1, 1966: Bloody Run, Jefferson, St. Josephs, Knollville, Riverside, Sageville, Sherrill, Vernon and Washington Mills. In addition the merger of Prairie Springs and St. Donatus with the District was approved.STEPHEN HEMPSTEAD HIGH SCHOOL was awarded. HUMKE SCHOOL, now displayed at the HAM HOUSE, from Center Township was donated to the DUBUQUE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
HOOVER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL was dedicated on Sunday, November 17, 1968. EISENHOWER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL was dedicated on November 24, 1968. During the 1968-1969 school year a "Stay in School" eight-week summer program designed to prevent students from becoming dropouts was approved by the Board. It was announced that Hempstead High School would not be ready for students by September 2, 1969, necessitating double sessions of classes at Dubuque Senior High School. Three sections of Hempstead were ready for use following Christmas vacation in 1969. The Board declared that January 26, 1970, the start of the second semester, would be the date of the move.KENNEDY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. A state of emergency was declared by the County Superintendent making repairs possible without advertising for bids. The Board authorized a two-year lease with the SISTERS OF THE VISITATION OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY (SVM) for the use of the ACADEMY OF THE VISITATION (THE). The building, used by shared-time students from Holy Ghost School, Saint Anthony School, and Nativity School was considered an annex of Washington Junior High School. The District purchased twenty-three acres of ground at Kaufmann Avenue and Chaney from the ARCHDIOCESE OF DUBUQUE for $75,000. Part of this site, once considered for a new junior high school, was later used for the administrative offices of the District.
In 1970 the District became the third school district in its size category throughout a 10-state mid-western area to adopt a system of performance pay for school administrative personnel. The pay system would apply to an estimated thirty-seven administrators assigned to individual school buildings. The new pay system included five pay criteria--education, experience, responsibility of position, length of contract and performance appraisal. The average 1970-71 salary for the thirty-seven building administrators to be rated under the evaluation system was $15,245. The same year the board approved a teacher salary package of a $6,875 base salary, a $3,000 district-maintained term life insurance policy and a partial payment of the individual teacher's family health insurance.
Beginning in 1971 the Dubuque REALTORS Building and Vocational Training Association worked with the District staff, high school instructors and students on the Student Built House Project. The program ran until 1984 and then was put on hold for six years and restarted in 1993 and ran until 2009. During those twenty-nine years, hundreds of students from Senior and Hempstead along with WAHLERT HIGH SCHOOL participated in the program which annually constructed an entire home including all aspects of construction, interior design and decorating. Proceeds from the sale of the homes were given to students who applied for scholarships. Over $135,000 in scholarships were awarded. Those who did not apply received skills useful throughout their lives.
The 1980s in the District implementation of collective bargaining. The DUBUQUE EDUCATION ASSOCIATION, an affiliate of the Iowa State Education Association and the National Education Association was the bargaining agent for the teachers. Grievances followed a procedure of settlement that could include binding arbitration. Settling the issue of pay often resulted in the District and Association taking their case to first a fact finder and then if no agreement was reached to an arbitrator.
Beyond negotiations, the District in 1988 named the gymnasium at DUBUQUE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL the Nora Gym in honor of James NORA. The District was also seen as a leader in the removal of asbestos. The "In Touch" newsletter was begun and an AIDS curriculum was approved in 1988. After much discussion, fans were approved for schools. In 1989 a multi-cultural curriculum plan was adopted. A consultant for the program began work the following year.
During 1990 the combination of Eisenhower Elementary School with Keller School was accomplished with the name of the school remaining Eisenhower. The District commitment to special education included working with students from HILLS AND DALES CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER, AREA RESIDENTIAL CARE, INC., and counties in the State of Iowa.
In October, 1990 the District adopted an affirmative action plan while calling a proposed goal of hiring women and minorities to fill four administrative and management positions by 1992 unrealistic. The time table was delayed to 1993. The affirmative action plan called for active efforts to hire qualified women, racial minorities and disabled people to all school positions. Except for two Asian and two Hispanic teachers, the district had no minority employees in 1989-1990. Katie Mulholland, the district's staff development coordinator, stated that the goals of the plan represented a standard the district should try to attain and was not a hiring quota.
In 1991 Jerome Greer was hired as the first black school administrator in the history of the District. Greer, the principal of IRVING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, remembered having to travel to Cedar Rapids to find a barber who cut blacks' hair. A cross-burning took place at a location in full view of the school.
In the 1990s the District developed its own multicultural and non-sexist plan administered by Thomas DETERMAN. Inservice programs were held for staff members and curriculum adoptions were made after materials were examined for bias. After Determan's retirement, inservices were continued and staff development was brought to the buildings annually by Dr. Kris Hall.
In July 1992, Diana LAM was hired as the superintendent upon the retirement of Dr. Howard Pigg. Lam established a number of initiatives including expeditionary learning. In 1993 amid controversy about her curriculum changes, the Board of Education voted 4-3 to renew her contract for another two years. Shortly afterwards, Lam accepted an offer to be the superintendent of schools in San Antonio, Texas.
Dr. Marvin O'HARE succeeded Lam as superintendent. O’Hare moved to Dubuque in 1970 to serve the Dubuque Community School District as the first Director of Elementary Education, then assistant superintendent. He was a strong advocate of early childhood education. He was succeeded as superintendent by Dr. Joel MORRIS. Dr. Morris was succeeded by Dr. Jane PETREK and then John BURGART. Burgart was succeeded by Dr. Larie GODINEZ.
Under Dr. Godinez, the District actively moved toward the purchase of property once owned by the DUBUQUE PACKING COMPANY for the construction of a new middle school. Controversy arose over the cost and location of the land. Controversy also arose over the superintendent's idea of closing several neighborhood elementary schools and relocating the students to WASHINGTON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL after the construction of a new middle school on the Pack property. The Board of Education eventually withdraw its interest in the property, and the potential closing of elementary schools was no longer considered. In 2011, the District moved towards more technology in the classrooms. Projectors, for example, which could be linked to the Internet were installed in elementary social studies classrooms. Teachers were provided with laptops. In February 2012 the question of entering into a long-term contract with one technology company to provide services to the District was explored. In April the decision to proceed with just one company was reconsidered. The same month it was discovered that a $133,000 "help desk" had never been operational. This was followed the same month with the discovery that several district computer servers had not had anti-virus programs installed. Dr. Godinez stated that she had not been informed of either situation. On Monday, April 30th the board voted unanimously to consider firing the superintendent. On May 1st, Superintendent Godinez gave notice that she was taking an extended leave of absence.
On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 the board unanimously approved the appointment of Stan RHEINGANS as acting superintendent. Rheingans had been the district's Executive Director of Human Resources since July 2004. On May 30, 2012 the Board and Dr. Godinez reached a termination agreement. The Board announced then announced that it would conduct its own search for a new superintendent. In June of 2012 Rheingans was named Interim Superintendent and his salary was raised to around $160,000. Rheingans was named the superintendent in September after a search was conducted by the board without professional assistance as in the past.DUBUQUE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL. Financing through the local option sales tax allowed the District to make upgrades to the field so that it would conform to the ADA (Americans with Disability Act) access rules and guidelines for public facilities. The District used the project to also make the facility more appealing for athletic and community events.
In April, 2013, the District announced a new four-year technology plan funded by the one-cent sales tax. With the intent of providing tablets to teachers trained on incorporating technology into the classroom, the plan would invest $3.5 million per year for four years. There would also be a $2.5 million commitment to refresh/replace technology as needed. By 2016-2017 both high schools would become one-to-one schools with every student having a tablet.
In August, the District also unveiled its new logo (shown at the top of the entry on the left hand side). The figures represent every student, white space represents movement toward the future and diamonds represent communication.
Redesign of the approximately 13-year-old logo was part of a district strategic plan goal to more proactively tell the district’s story. A district official said the new logo is core to establishing a consistent, unified and meaningful representation of what the district is and aspires to be.
Cost of the new logo designed by Mike Schmalz of Refinery Design Company in Dubuque was $13,500, paid out of the general fund, and included the logo in various orientations and formats, as well as a complete redesign of district business cards, letterhead and envelopes.
No employee threatened to exceed the record of employment held by Amelia C. ANDRES.
(Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)
Becker, Stacey. "School District Upgrading Technology," Telegraph Herald, Apr. 9, 2013, p. 3A
"Fulfilling Dreams...One Home at a Time," Dubuque Board of Realtors, Inc., May 30, 2013, p. 4
"Flower Outlines New School Plan," Telegraph Herald, Sept. 26, 1922, p. 4
Kruse, Len. "Prescott-Dubuque's First Public High School," My Old Dubuque, Center for Dubuque History, Loras College, 2000, p. 269-270
Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-22-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml
Petho, Andrea W.--"The Wallis Family Tree" and photographs.
School Board minutes
"Teachers Will Pass on Union," Telegraph Herald, Oct. 10, 1937, p. 5
Telegraph Herald, April 9, 1939
Telegraph Herald, May 3, 2012
Telegraph Herald, June 28, 2012
Telegraph Herald, August 27, 2013. Online: http://m.thonline.com/mobile_new/news/article_29652a22-052c-11e3-9e7b-001a4bcf6878.html