"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE COMMUNITY BAND
At the beginning of the SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR, the band was sent to Fort Dodge, Iowa, where it served as the "4th Regiment Band." This group won first prize at the Elk's conventions at Cincinnati and Kansas City. In 1885 it won first prize as part of the militia enlisted for war. Released from service, the members returned to Dubuque and renamed the group "The Dubuque Military Band."
In 1912 "The Dubuque Military Band" merged with Doty's Band and became the Dubuque Community Band. Delhi A. DOTY, the director of the first Community Band, was succeeded by Felix Bonifazi who was succeeded by Milton L. Scheppele.
The band toured most of the upper Mississippi Valley performing concerts at fairs and conventions. By 1932 its record of 2,000 concerts did not include parades and "street work. In 1931 the Community Band provided concerts at EAGLE POINT PARK alternating Sunday afternoons with Earl Wood's Music Makers. In 1932 Martin Scheidecker held the record for fifty consecutive years of membership.
For sixty years, the musicians performed as a union band affiliated as the American Federation of Musicians, Local 289.
The 1923 Dubuque City Directory listed the corner of White and 19th.
The 1929 Dubuque City Directory listed 20th and White.
The 1937 Dubuque Consurvey Directory listed 2011 1/2 White.
The 1959 through 1980 Dubuque City Directory listed 2327 Central.
"Community Band Half a Century Old," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, March 17, 1932, p. 12