"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque



From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search

DUBUQUE CATHOLIC BENEVOLENT SOCIETY. The Dubuque Catholic Benevolent Society was established on January 1, 1872, with a limited membership. John O'Neill was the president. The object of the Society was social and in 1899 there were 175 members. In February 1872 it was decided to abolish the rule that members had to attend funerals of members in full regalia or be assessed a fine of $2.00. The feeling was the rule was a hardship to the living while of no benefit to the dead. It was also decided to hire nurses to attend the sick rather than assign members for this service. (1)

In 1899 the officers were D. Riorden, President; Joseph Rowan, VicePresident; Patrick J. QUIGLEY, Treasurer; M. J. Farley and F. McGinnes, Secretaries ; M. F. Carey, Marshal, and Father Murphy, Spiritual Director.

Meetings were held weekly, on Sunday afternoon, in Mulligan's Hall, and the treasury in 1899 contained a relief fund of an estimated $800.



1. "Municipal Molecules," Dubuque Daily Herald, February 17, 1892, p. 4