"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
DUBUQUE BROOM FACTORY
DUBUQUE BROOM FACTORY. Established in 1869, the Dubuque Broom Factory was first located by F. A. Miller on Eighth Street between Iowa and Clay STREETS. Relocated to 72 South Main Street, the remained at this point until increasing business required more room. He relocated to South Main in 1872. The 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory listed the northwest corner of Third and Iowa.
In 1911 the company employed ten people who together were paid $100 for wages each week. The firm manufactured 400 gross of brooms and 100 gross of whisk brushes annually earning the company an estimated $14,000.
Oldt, Franklin T. The History of Dubuque County