"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE BIBLE CHURCH
Church meetings were first held at Ninth and Locust with Bill Rice traveling from Chicago to Dubuque each Sunday. The first baptismal service was held in the MISSISSIPPI RIVER on September 15, 1940. Services began in a building the congregation purchased at 1477 Locust on January 1, 1941.
The church joined the Independent Fundamental Churches of America during the ministry, from February 1942 to May 1945, of Glen Lehman. During this time, the name of the church was changed to Dubuque Bible Church. (2) The 1945 Dubuque City Directory listed 1201 Locust.
The property at 3500 Pennsylvania Avenue on which the church was relocated was purchased between 1958 and 1961. A parsonage at 1746 Vizaleea was also secured. The first service was held in the new church on September 20, 1964.
Groundbreaking for an educational wing was held on December 9, 1968. The building, dedicated November 30, 1969, doubled the room for youth oriented activities and provided a fellowship hall.
In 1980 the church started the Dubuque Christian Academy. The operation of the Academy ended on July 21, 1985.
The 1987 through 2014 Dubuque City Directory listed 3500 Pennsylvania.
1. "Bible Church Group Active," Telegraph Herald, August 31, 1958, p. 11
2. "Local Church Changes Name," The Telegraph-Herald, April 2, 1942. p. 32