DUBUQUE BANK AND TRUST COMPANY
In August 1981, Heartland Bancorp, the holding company of Dubuque Bank and Trust, was formed. In May 1991, the name Heartland Bancorp was changed to Heartland Financial USA, Inc.
In November 1988, officials of Dubuque Bank and Trust announced the acquisition of KEY CITY BANK AND TRUST COMPANY stock from the parent company, Banks of Iowa based in Des Moines. Key City operated at two locations in Dubuque and one in Epworth. In January 1990, the Farley State Bank was acquired with branches in Farley and Holy Cross. The acquisition of Galena State Bank by Heartland Financial in January 1992, made Heartland a two-bank holding company and the first Iowa bank holding company to purchase an Illinois bank. In 1988 Dubuque Bank and Trust received local attention for having what was believed to be Dubuque's only "talking" automatic teller machine at its Key West branch.
The Dubuque Centennial was held in 1933.The bank, which has always been rated one of the top banks by the Sheskunoff Information Services, received national attention in October 1988, when it was named one of the 175 safest banks in the United States by Money magazine. Banks given superstar status by the magazine tended to be smaller than the nation's largest banks, located outside major urban centers, conservatively operated, and were not likely to compete for interest rates. Dubuque Bank and Trust, with assets in 1991 in excess of $353 million, was the largest bank in Dubuque. In November 1991, it was announced that through its farm loan portfolio, Dubuque Bank and Trust had become one of the top 100 largest agricultural banks in the United States.
Significant events in the history of Dubuque Bank and Trust Company:
1960 DB&T opened its Drive-Up Bank at 14th and Iowa STREETS
1965 DB&T was the first bank in Dubuque to use IBM's electronic bank data-processing
1968 DB&T opened the Kennedy Mall office
1970 DB&T opened an office at 500 North Grandview Avenue
1974 Sherrill (Iowa) office opened (closed in 1986)
1988 DB&T opened an "integral office facility" in the east concourse of KENNEDY MALL(closed in 1990)
1988 DB&T acquired Fireside Credit which became Citizens Finance at 1275 Main Street
1989 DB&T acquired KEY CITY BANK AND TRUST COMPANY. Key City is merged into DB&T giving the bank three new office locations at 1275 Main, 3425 Kennedy Circle and Epworth
1991 DB&T acquired Farley State Bank and merged it into DB&T, acquiring offices in Farley and Holy Cross
1995 a 32,000-square-foot addition is constructed at the main bank
1996 DB&T launched its website--www.dubuquebank.com
2000 Drive-Up Bank is rebuilt
2003 DB&T opened a temporary office at Asbury Road and the NORTHWEST ARTERIAL, the Kennedy Circle office is closed
2004 DB&T support teams are moved into the restored Walsh Stores building across from the main bank
2004 a permanent office is opened at Asbury Road and the Northwest Arterial
2008 DB&T reached $1.1 billion in assets and had more than 200 employees and nine offices
2008 The Iowa Finance Authority recognized DB&T with the Top Banker Award
2009 DB&T was the first bank in the nation to see a Refi Plus loan to Fannie Mae
2009 DB&T earned a Beginning Farmer Loan Bank of the Year Award from the Iowa Agricultural Development Authority.
2009 DB&T unveiled its new logo
2010 DB&T celebrated its 75th anniversary and status among Iowa's ten largest banking institutions.
The 1987 Dubuque City Directory listed 1398 Central, KENNEDY MALL, Grandview and Delhi, 8th and Town Clock Plaza, Key West.