"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE AWNING & TENT COMPANY
The company relocated in 1926 to 290 Main. Growth of the business led to the location being expanded in 1946 to include 298 Main. Ludwig was joined in the business by his son, Cyril P. FROMMELT in 1924 and S. J. Frommelt in 1928.
By 1951 the company had expanded its trade area to a radius of 75 miles around Dubuque. During WORLD WAR II the number of employees rose to thirty as production of tarps, flags, canvas field kits, first-aid kits and tents soared. The manufacture of of awning and tents was resumed after the war.
The beginning of the industrial division known as FROMMELT INDUSTRIES INC. began in 1950.
The 1929 Dubuque City Directory through the 1964 Dubuque City Directory listed 290 Main.
1. "Dubuque Awning and Tent Company," Telegraph-Herald, June 17, 1951, p. 8