DUBUQUE AND MINNESOTA RAILROAD
The successor of the DUBUQUE AND MCGREGOR RAILROAD, the Dubuque and Minnesota was charted so that it could reach northward to Winona and Mankato, Minnesota. In 1871 the road was renamed the CHICAGO, DUBUQUE AND MINNESOTA RAILROAD. The line had reached from Dubuque to La Crescent, Minnesota. In 1872 a branch was completed from Turkey River Junction to Garber, Iowa--a total of thirteen miles.
High construction costs and the Panic of 1873 placed this railroad and the CHICAGO, CLINTON, AND DUBUQUE RAILROAD into receivership. After renamings and reorganizations, the two roads were eventually formed into the CHICAGO, CLINTON, AND DUBUQUE RAILROAD in 1878.
Donovan, Frank P. Jr. Iowa Railroads Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, p. 211