"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE AMUSEMENT CORPORATION
DUBUQUE AMUSEMENT CORPORATION. In 1934 the Dubuque Amusement Corporation purchased the dance hall from UNION PARK and relocated it on grounds near the airport on Sageville Road. This became MELODY MILL.
Officers of the corporation included Harold Kunz, president; Everett "Shorty"AKINS, vice-president; and John J. KINTZINGER, secretary and treasurer. At the time the papers of incorporation were filed in Des Moines, the company was capitalized at $20,000.
1. "Union Park Hall Dance Hall Dismantled; Moved to Airport," Telegraph Herald and Times Journal, Feb. 18,, 1934, p. 3. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Y75BAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xakMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3656,3198470&dq=dubuque+amusement+corporation&hl=en
2. "Huge Dance Palace and Cabaret Will Blaze with Lights and Music," Telegraph Herald, Aug. 5, 1934, p. 6. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Rc5BAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2akMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3055,4522125&dq=everett+akins+dubuque&hl=en