"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa.




Difference between revisions of "DUBUQUE ALTAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(4 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
DUBUQUE ALTAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY. [[Image:imp411.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
 
DUBUQUE ALTAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY. [[Image:imp411.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
[[Image:imp585.jpg|left|thumb|350px|Partial page from the company catalogue. Photo courtesy: John J. Bennett]] In 1900 with its offices located at 19th and Pine [[STREETS]], the Dubuque Altar Manufacturing Company manufactured statuary, altars and pews offering more than fifty styles of ends. (1) Statuary included stations of the cross, Christmas and other groupings, reliefs, brackets, vases, pedestals, baptismals and holy water fonts.  Established in 1895, the company by 1910 the company had made sales in every state, Puerto Rico, and the "West India Islands." The firm employed seventy-five workmen year-round exclusive of the office personnel and salesmen on the road.
+
[[Image:imp585.jpg|left|thumb|350px|Partial page from the company catalogue. Photo courtesy: John J. Bennett]] Established in 1895 by investors including [[SCHROEDER, Frank|Frank SCHROEDER]], the company by 1910 the company had made sales in every state, Puerto Rico, and the "West India Islands." The firm employed seventy-five workmen year-round exclusive of the office personnel and salesmen on the road.In 1900 with its offices located at 19th and Pine [[STREETS]], the Dubuque Altar Manufacturing Company manufactured statuary, altars and pews offering more than fifty styles of ends. (1) Statuary included stations of the cross, Christmas and other groupings, reliefs, brackets, vases, pedestals, baptismals and holy water fonts.   
  
 
The company had two factories. One produced the statuary while the other was dedicated to manufacturing church furniture. The firm also manufactured a complete line of school furnishings. The factories and buildings covered 90,000 square feet and the company had its own side racks for receiving and shipping. Officers included J.J. Ott, President; M.J. Mulgrew, vice-president; W.H. Meuser, secretary, and P.F. Ryder, treasurer. (2)
 
The company had two factories. One produced the statuary while the other was dedicated to manufacturing church furniture. The firm also manufactured a complete line of school furnishings. The factories and buildings covered 90,000 square feet and the company had its own side racks for receiving and shipping. Officers included J.J. Ott, President; M.J. Mulgrew, vice-president; W.H. Meuser, secretary, and P.F. Ryder, treasurer. (2)
 +
 +
In 1902 and 1903 the company employed [[T. F. PHILLIPS CO.]] as a sales agent. The contract terminated in 1904 and T. F. Phillips, it was alleged, began manufacturing and selling items using the designs it had been loaned by Dubuque Altar. This led to a suit being filed in 1904 that stopped T. F. Phillips from further use of the designs.
 +
 +
[[Image:dubuquealtar2.png|left|thumb|350px|1938 notice of sale. Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald]]The company closed by 1938.
 +
 
[[Image:dubuquealtar.jpg|left|thumb|350px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
 
[[Image:dubuquealtar.jpg|left|thumb|350px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
  

Latest revision as of 12:05, 17 May 2018

DUBUQUE ALTAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY.
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Partial page from the company catalogue. Photo courtesy: John J. Bennett
Established in 1895 by investors including Frank SCHROEDER, the company by 1910 the company had made sales in every state, Puerto Rico, and the "West India Islands." The firm employed seventy-five workmen year-round exclusive of the office personnel and salesmen on the road.In 1900 with its offices located at 19th and Pine STREETS, the Dubuque Altar Manufacturing Company manufactured statuary, altars and pews offering more than fifty styles of ends. (1) Statuary included stations of the cross, Christmas and other groupings, reliefs, brackets, vases, pedestals, baptismals and holy water fonts.

The company had two factories. One produced the statuary while the other was dedicated to manufacturing church furniture. The firm also manufactured a complete line of school furnishings. The factories and buildings covered 90,000 square feet and the company had its own side racks for receiving and shipping. Officers included J.J. Ott, President; M.J. Mulgrew, vice-president; W.H. Meuser, secretary, and P.F. Ryder, treasurer. (2)

In 1902 and 1903 the company employed T. F. PHILLIPS CO. as a sales agent. The contract terminated in 1904 and T. F. Phillips, it was alleged, began manufacturing and selling items using the designs it had been loaned by Dubuque Altar. This led to a suit being filed in 1904 that stopped T. F. Phillips from further use of the designs.

1938 notice of sale. Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald
The company closed by 1938.
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

The 1909 Dubuque City Directory located this business at 860 19th.

The 1911-1912 Dubuque City Directory and 1913 Dubuque and Dubuque County Directory stated that this business was located at 19th and Pine.

The 1918 Dubuque Classified Business Directory through 1923 Dubuque City Directory listed 860 E. 19th.

The 1929 Dubuque City Directory 400-98 E. 19th.

The 1939 Dubuque City Directory listed 245 W. 1st.

---

Source:

1. "Annual Meeting," Dubuque Daily Telegraph, January 3, 1901, p. 8

2. "Dubuque Altar Manufacturing Company is the Largest in the United States," Dubuque Herald, January 1919, p. 1