"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DIAMOND JO BOATYARD
Boats awaiting repair were anchored in the ICE HARBOR. When work was completed on another boat, the next to be serviced would be brought to the boat yard's drydocks. Replacing a hull and making other improvements could take a team of workmen all winter. (6)
On February 3, 1911 the DIAMOND JO LINE was sold to the Streckfus Company of Rock Island. For $200,000 the Streckfus Company obtained the steamers St. Paul, Quincy, Dubuque and Sidney. In addition it received the wharves, warehouses and boatyards of the company. (7) In 1911 the Dubuque City Directory listed a Streckfus Boat Yard at the end of Lincoln Avenue.
See: BOAT BUILDING.
1. Hudson, David; Bergman, Marvin; Horton, Loren. The Biographical Dictionary of Iowa. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2008 p. 424
2. River News, Dubuque Herald, Mar. 22, 1882, p. 4. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FpRCAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LqsMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3146,6260675&dq=dubuque+marine+ways&hl=en
3. "Diamond Jo," Dubuque Herald, January 30, 1880, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18800130&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
5. Oldt, Franklin. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 636
6. "At Eagle Point," Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, October 30, 1901, p. 8
7. "On The River," Online: http://iagenweb.org/history/rivers/W_Blair/01Feb1931.htm