"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




DAVIS, Timothy

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Tdavis.jpg
DAVIS, Timothy. (New York, Mar. 29, 1794--Elkader, IA, Apr. 27, 1872). Davis moved to Kentucky for several years and then relocated to Missouri where he was a blacksmith and studied law at the same time. He moved to Dubuque in 1838 and established his law practice of Davis & Crawford. When his partner died in 1849, Davis took as a partner Frederick E. BISSELL. Davis was nominated as a Republican as a representative and served one term. (1)

Returning to Dubuque, he sold his property and moved to Elkader around 1864 investing his money with a man, John Thompson, formerly of Dubuque in the Motor Mill along the Turkey River. (2)

Davis' interests were far-ranging. One of these businesses was the manufacture of barbed wire. Patented under his name, the fence was thought to cost about 40 cents a rod and would last fifty years. (3) He served as president of the Farmers' Club in 1864. (4) Davis was also a proponent of building a railroad along the Bush Creek route through Elkader, West Union and along the 43rd Parallel to O'Brien County. (5)

---

Source:

1. An Old Dubuquer Gone," The Daily Herald, April 30, 1872, p. 4

2. Linda J. Woody, e-mail, February 18, 2019

3. "Farmer's Club," Dubuque Herald, January 10, 1863, p. 4

4. "Farmers' Club," Dubuque Herald, January 27, 1864, p. 4

5. "State Correspondence", Dubuque Herald, January 10, 1868, p. 1