"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




CONLON CONSTRUCTION COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Advertisement from 1976. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
CONLON CONSTRUCTION COMPANY. Conlon Construction, one of Dubuque's premier builders, dates from 1903. Beginning with R. F. Conlon and Sons, the company serviced a four state region of Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, the company provided all building services and even operated its own quarry.

Richard died in 1935, and company management became the responsibility of his three sons. Vincent moved to St. Cloud, Minnesota, leaving the Dubuque operation to O. M. and Orlin Conlon. The company at this time was named R.F. Conlon Sons Construction.

In 1948, the firm became formally Conlon Construction Company and expanded into seven states with fifty employees. More subcontracting was done as the company gradually built larger buildings. By 1989 the firm had commercial, industrial and institutional projects in seventeen states.

By 2010 Conlon had operated in all fifty states. Counted among its commercial customers are Best Buy, Kmart, J.C. Penney, Wal-Mart, and Target Corporation. Since 1979 when Target hired Conlon to construct its Dubuque store, the construction company has worked on more than 400 projects for Target throughout the United States.

In Dubuque, Conlon Construction has been involved with the construction of McCormick Gymnasium at the UNIVERSITY OF DUBUQUE, JOHN DEERE DUBUQUE WORKS, Medical Arts Plaza at Mercy, FIVE FLAGS CIVIC CENTER, CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION, FROMMELT INDUSTRIES INC. office and plant, ECUMENICAL TOWER, the addition to the CARNEGIE-STOUT PUBLIC LIBRARY, renovation at KENNEDY MALL, and the NATIONAL MISSISSIPPI RIVER MUSEUM AND AQUARIUM for which the company received the Master Builders of Iowa Masters Award for the building's complexity and uniqueness.

The 1951 through 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 240 Railroad.

---

Source:

Gloss, Megan. "Century-Old Business in the Making," Telegraph Herald, November 10, 2008, p. 35