"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
Around 1894 grounds for a ballball field were found in the Linehan Park Addition and an amphitheater was planned at a cost of $400.00. Ground, however, known as "Olinger Park" because it was owned by the Olinger family, nearly a mile closer to the center of town at the corner of 24th Street and Elm was purchased. (3) The team, the Dubuque Colts, moved into the new Twenty Fourth Street Park in 1895, the year it joined the Eastern Iowa League.
In 2008 Comiskey Park was still located on 24th and Jackson STREETS. Now a family play area, the grounds have no resemblance to the ball field with its high wooden fences and covered bleachers.
Baseball moved to the DUBUQUE ATHLETIC FIELD and then to Petrakis Field on 4th Street in 1927. Charles Albert Comiskey (1859-1931) who played with the Dubuque Rabbits from 1879-82 became the namesake for the ball field on June 20, 1929.
In July, 2017 it was announced $508,000 had been awarded for developments to the park through the Outdoor Recreation Legacy Partnership program. The city was planning to construct a splash park and all inclusive play structure. The grant was part of $13.3 million to help 22 cities in 17 states with projects to plan, build, and enhance parks and other outdoor recreation facilities in under-served communities. (4)
City officials announced in November, 2018 that they were looking for a firm to direct the design, construction management and grant administration for a planned two-acre expansion of the park in 2019. The opportunity to make the expansion came as a result of the BEE BRANCH construction with property that the city purchased for the flood mitigation effort. One possibility suggested was to simply spread out some of the recreation facilities already present. (5)
1. "Comiskey Field' Name Selected for Playground," Telegraph Herald and Times Journal, May 14, 1929, p. 1
3. Jacobsen, James E. The Architectural and Historical Resources of Dubuque, Iowa, 1837-1955, p. 13 Online: http://www.cityofdubuque.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2934
4. Descorbeth, Shirley, "Developments Coming to Comiskey Park," KWWL.com. http://www.kwwl.com/story/35926059/2017/7/19/developments-coming-to-comiskey-park
5. Fisher, Benjamin, "City Moves Ahead on Comiskey Expansion," Telegraph Herald, November 11, 2018, p. 19A