"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org




COATES & WATTERS

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
COATES & WATTERS. T. P. Coates, a native of England, settled in Dubuque around 1842. He established the business later known as RIDER-WALLIS DRY GOODS COMPANY and after selling his interest in that business entered into partnership with James and William Watters, under the name of Coates & Watters. He was a financial, but not operating, partner in the firm of COATES, LANGSTAFF & CO.

The 1867 Dubuque City Directory gave no address for this business although it was listed as a grocer and clothier.

The 1868 Guide, Gazetteer and Directory of the Dubuque & Soux (sic) City Railroad and 1868-69 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located in West Dubuque.

The 1870-1871 Dubuque City Directory located this business at the southwest corner of Delhi and Center, West Dubuque.

The 1873-74 Dubuque City Directory listed 31 Main.

The 1874-1875 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business, listed as a clothier, was located at 233 Main.

The 1875-1876 through 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory gave the address as 205 Main.

The business address in the 1880 Dubuque City Directory was 271 Main.

The 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory listed 164-172 Main.

---

The Industries of Dubuque: Her Relations as a Trade Center, Dubuque: J. M. Elster and Company, Publishers, 1887, p. 71