In 1910 the home was purchased by the John J. ROSHEK family. Extensive expansion and modernization of the home included the addition of several wings, the library expanded and paneled, and the exterior was stuccoed in the turn of the century Spanish Mission style. The surrounding stone wall was built of limestone block salvaged from the magnificent GREYSTONE-DEMOLISHED mansion of Augustine A. COOPER family which was torn down in 1956 to make way for a parking lot. Home magazine featured the house in one of its 1984 issues.
Intricate wrought iron surrounds the entryway and exterior porch. Inside are matching oak seats below leaded glass windows. The ceilings in the home are twelve feet high and all the rooms are very large. There are two fireplaces, one with an Italian marble mantle and one with a carved wood mantle. Sun rooms on each side of the home were once exterior porches. Both the library and the dining room have quartersawn oak panels. The remodeled kitchen has marble counter tops and a butler's pantry. Upstairs are three large bedrooms, several baths, and a separate servants' quarters with another bath.
Dubuque City Assessor
Dubuque City Directory
Old House Enthusiasts online