"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "CHRIST THE KING CHAPEL"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
CHRIST THE KING CHAPEL. [[LORAS COLLEGE]] landmark built in 1946-47. Constructed as a memorial to servicemen of World War II, the chapel was especially dedicated to Naval Chaplain [[SCHMITT, Aloysius|Aloysius SCHMITT]]. A Dubuque priest, Schmitt was among the 1,177 killed aboard the U.S.S. Oklahoma when it was destroyed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. An altar in the chapel was donated by Joseph P. Kennedy, father of [[KENNEDY, John F.|John F. KENNEDY]], in memory of his oldest son, Joe, Jr., killed during the war.
 
CHRIST THE KING CHAPEL. [[LORAS COLLEGE]] landmark built in 1946-47. Constructed as a memorial to servicemen of World War II, the chapel was especially dedicated to Naval Chaplain [[SCHMITT, Aloysius|Aloysius SCHMITT]]. A Dubuque priest, Schmitt was among the 1,177 killed aboard the U.S.S. Oklahoma when it was destroyed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. An altar in the chapel was donated by Joseph P. Kennedy, father of [[KENNEDY, John F.|John F. KENNEDY]], in memory of his oldest son, Joe, Jr., killed during the war.
 +
 +
 +
[[CATEGORY: Buildings]]

Revision as of 15:02, 7 December 2008

CHRIST THE KING CHAPEL. LORAS COLLEGE landmark built in 1946-47. Constructed as a memorial to servicemen of World War II, the chapel was especially dedicated to Naval Chaplain Aloysius SCHMITT. A Dubuque priest, Schmitt was among the 1,177 killed aboard the U.S.S. Oklahoma when it was destroyed during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. An altar in the chapel was donated by Joseph P. Kennedy, father of John F. KENNEDY, in memory of his oldest son, Joe, Jr., killed during the war.