"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org




CHICAGO, DUBUQUE AND MINNESOTA RAILROAD

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo courtesy: Center for Dubuque History
Railroad pass
CHICAGO, DUBUQUE AND MINNESOTA RAILROAD. A successor to the DUBUQUE AND MINNESOTA RAILROAD and predecessor of the Milwaukee Road, this railroad was incorporated on January 1, 1871.

On June 1, 1871 the company delivered the deed of trust to John A. Burnham, Jas. H. Blake, and Stephen V.R. Thayer conveying to them all the property of the company. On the same day the CHICAGO, CLINTON AND DUBUQUE RAILROAD executed a mortgage to John M. Dennison and Stephen V.R. Thayer, as trustees, conveying the property of that railroad to secure bonds in the amount of $1.5 million. James F. Joy, Sidney Bartlett, Nathaniel Thayer, the trustees of the mortgages, and some Boston investors, were elected directors of the companies.

Annual ticket

The main line of the Chicago, Dubuque and Minnesota Road was completed from Dubuque to La Crescent. The Turkey River Branch was partially completed from the mouth of the Turkey River to Wadena. The Chicago, Clinton and Dubuque was completed from Dubuque to Sabula where it obtained trackage arrangements over the Sabula, Ackley, and Dakota Road for about five miles and constructed its own road from that point to an intersection with the Midland Road, owned and controlled by the North-Western. In a like manner, trackage arrangements had been made to Clinton.

Scrip
The Panic of 1873 along with high construction costs left the line in receivership. In 1878 the Chicago, Dubuque and Minnesota was joined with the Chicago, Clinton and Dubuque Railroad to form the Chicago, Clinton, Dubuque and Minnesota Rail Road.

The Chicago, Dubuque and Minnesota along with the DUBUQUE, BELLEVUE, AND MISSISSIPPI RAILWAY constructed a station in Dubuque. Located near the East Third Street crossing, it sat opposite the Burlington depot. In the early 1940s its second second story was removed; the building was demolished in 1965. (1)


---

Source:

1. Meyer, Jeffrey J. "Inter-century Railroad Stations," Julien's Journal, February 2012, P. 50

Donovan, Frank P. Jr. Iowa Railroads Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2000, p. 212