"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org




CHARLES J. PETERSON-445 S. GRANDVIEW

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Sgrandview.jpg
CHARLES J. PETERSON HOME. In 1906 this QUEEN ANNE ARCHITECTURE home was built for Dr. Charles J. and Tenie N. Peterson on land originally owned by George L. NIGHTINGALE. Charles PETERSON was one of the first graduates of a dental school to practice in Iowa.

The Neo-classical portico is all that remains of a wrap-around porch which had a pass-through leading to a horse barn behind the home. The porch may have been removed in the mid-1950s when the horse barn was torn down.

The front doorway, with much of its original beveled glass remaining, opens into a spacious foyer with a beautiful stairway whose pillars continue the Neo-classical look of the porch. Two sets of French doors lead into a formal parlor on the left and a family room on the right. The parlor fireplace and built-in corner hutches in the dining room are original to the house. The second floor has five large bedrooms and two baths. Much of the renovation, including kitchen and baths, was done in the mid-1990s.

---

Source:

Dubuque City Assessor

Dubuque City Directory

Old House Enthusiasts online