The Chamberlain Plow Company eventually became the Norwegian Plow Company in Dubuque. Photo courtesy: William K. Hammel
Victorian trade card of the Chamberlain Plow Company.
CHAMBERLAIN PLOW COMPANY. Pioneering agricultural implement manufacturer. The future manufacturing giant began as a small blacksmith shop in Orfordville, Wisconsin. H.H. Sater, later the superintendent of the NORWEGIAN PLOW COMPANY
, made plows with a small anvil. A larger shop which utilized machinery was constructed in Brodhead, Wisconsin by C.W. Mitchell and others.
In 1877 William C. CHAMBERLAIN purchased an interest in the Wisconsin business and opened a branch office and salesroom in Dubuque. The name of the company at that time was Chamberlain, Mitchell & Company. In 1879 George Stephens and others joined the firm. In 1879 a stock company incorporated under Iowa laws was founded, the Norwegian Plow Company.
The 1884-1885 and 1886-87 Dubuque City Directory gave the corner of Locust and Jones as the address.