CHALMERS, John George
Chalmers moved to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, as football coach and athletic director for one year before returning to the University of Iowa from 1903 to 1906 as the director of physical education and athletics. He was the head coach of baseball, basketball, football and track while attending law school.UNIVERSITY OF DUBUQUE. Chalmers continued his coaching at St. Joseph College from 1907 to 1913. He coached at the University of Dubuque from 1914 to 1925.
Beginning in 1919, Chalmers served as a referee in bankruptcy for the northern district of Iowa, eastern division. In March 1942, he was appointed judge of the 19th Judicial District. Chalmers served as a district judge from 1942 until 1955. He retired from law practice in 1958.
Locally, Chalmers served in many leadership positions. He was president of the Dubuque Independent School District from 1931 to 1933, Dubuque County Conservation Society, Dubuque County Abstract Company and the Langworthy Silica Company. He was president of the Iowa State Cancer Society and for many years served as its legal adviser.
In recognition of his coaching record, Chalmers Field at the University of Dubuque was named in his honor. In 1960 a lecture room was named for him in the science hall of the university. In 1962 Chalmers received the Outstanding Citizen Award from the Dubuque Real Estate Board. As a final honor, on September 14, 1991, Chalmers was inducted into the Hall of Fame at the University of Dubuque.