CENTRAL UNION TELEPHONE COMPANY
CENTRAL UNION TELEPHONE COMPANY. The Central Union Telephone Company eventually became the Bell Telephone System. (1) In January 1892 the superintendent and local manager surveyed the company in Dubuque and announced several changes. The offices would be moved from the third to the second floor of the Bradley Block on the corner of 6th and Main. The two banks of wires that entered the exchange through the roof would be replaced by two cables each containing two hundred wires. The Dubuque Daily Herald suggested the company should continue their improvements with replacement of outdated equipment. (2)
The 1884-1885 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory gave the northwest corner of Main and 6th as the address.
2. " 'Phones Will Come Down," Dubuque Daily Herald, January 16, 1892, p. 4