"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
CARR, ADAMS AND COLLIER COMPANY
The company was incorporated in 1887 as the CARR, RYDER, AND WHEELER COMPANY with a capital stock of $125,000. By February 16, 1890, continued expansion of the company led to an increase in the capitalization to $150,000. The firm's name was changed to the CARR, RYDER, AND ENGLER COMPANY in August 1892. Continued business expansion led to the installation of more machinery and an increase in capital from $200,000 to $300,000 in January 1893. Officers at the time were W. W. Carr, president; E. A. Engler, vice-president; John Taylor ADAMS, secretary; and E. M. Dickey, treasurers. (3) The need for more power led to January 1892 when the company had to close for three days while the bed under the new 500-horsepower engine settled.(4)CARR, RYDER, AND ADAMS COMPANY. This name remained until 1938 when the firm's name became Carr, Adams and Collier Company.
During WORLD WAR II the company's war effort included the manufacture of footlockers and ammunition boxes in addition to its more traditional supplies to military bases. Progressing through the series of changes in name the company eventually became CARADCO.
1. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, February 18, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18790218&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "W. W. Carr and Company," Dubuque Herald, February 26, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18790226&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
3. "Increased Its Capital," Dubuque Daily Herald, January 14, 1893, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18930114&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
3. "Municipal Molecules," Dubuque Daily Herald, January 26, 1892, p. 4