The site selected was at the upper end of the bottom land adjoining LAKE PEOSTA on an elevation of thirty to forty feet above it. Here the volunteers could have good water, bathing in summer, and ice in the winter. (1)
The buildings constructed were 20 x 60 feet and arranged to accommodate 100 men each. (2) The first troops to enter the camp had previously been quartered in various hotels.
Camp Schedule (3)
5 o'clock, a. m. --Reveille
5 1/2 to 6 1/2 --Schools for Officers of Comp. Drill for Privates
6 1/2 a. m.--Breakfast Call
7 1/2 a.m. Surgeon's Call
8 a.m.--Guard Mounting
8 1/2 to 10 1/2 Schools for Officers and Comp. Drill for Privates
2 to 3 p.m.-- Comp. drill
4 to 5 p.m.--Battalion Drill
6 1/2 p.m.--Supper Call
9p.m.--Tattoo (9 1/4--Roll Call)
Just two weeks after the camp was opened, the following appeared in the "Dubuque Herald:"
We are informed that the officers of the camp prefer not to have spiritous (sic) liquors sent to the volunteers. The same value extended in some other way might be quite as gratifying to the donors and as thankfully enjoyed by the recipients. (4)
The camp was later renamed Camp Franklin. The entire camp was closed in January 1863 with the barracks sold at auction in January 1863 for $1,564 and dismantled a month later. (5) The reason given by the "Dubuque Herald:"
The governor says that no more troops will be rendezvoused in Dubuque, so notoriously secessional (sic) is the character of its leading citizens. (6)
Years later, the site was known as Rhomberg Park and still later the area along Rhomberg Avenue was occupied by the Eagle Point Apartments still visible in 2013. (7)
1. Renner, Beverly. "When 'Boys in Blue' Had Rendezvous Camp Here," Telegraph Herald, July 11, 1952, p. 31. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=b3VFAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ubwMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5649,1872181&dq=camp+union+dubuque&hl=en