"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
C. W. ROBINSON COMPANY
C. W. ROBINSON COMPANY. Established in 1875 and located at Main and Railroad Avenue, this lumberyard covered an estimated ten acres. It operated only a cutting mill and was not involved in RAFTING. The company's annual production was between eight and ten million feet of lumber.
Fire on April 14, 1880 did an estimated $15,000 in damage. This included 800,000 feet of lumber; 100,000 shingles; a carload of tar paper; 200 lath; and a large quantity of sash and doors. (1)
In 1884 fire at the lumber yard caused $100,000 in damage. (2)
The 1880 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was to be found at 31 West Main.
The 1884-1885 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory listed the corner of Dodge and Locust as the address.
With the death of C. W. ROBINSON in 1894, the company was reorganized by two employees and became known as the Svendson-Ott Lumber Company. The interest owned by Svendson was purchased in 1896 by Joseph A. MEUSER and Peter J. SEIPPEL.
1. "Midnight Blaze," Dubuque Herald, April 14, 1880., p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18800414&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "The Fire Fiend," Quebec Daily Telegraph, Sept. 4, 1884, p. 2. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=fVQfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=odIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3501,5134293&dq=lumber+yard+fires+dubuque&hl=en