"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 20:59, 23 November 2014 by Randylyon (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
CHARLES J. MULFINGER. In 1910 C. J. Mulfinger was one of two leading Dubuque furriers. Making a specialty of finer furs, the company produced fur coats and fur-lined coats for men and women, muffs, scarfs, fur capes for men and women, fur gloves and fur-lined gloves, children's fur sets, animal rugs and sleigh robes. The firm often purchased raw furs so that they could be specifically tanned.

In addition, the company annually stored between $30,000 and $35,000 worth of furs for customers insuring them against fire, theft, or moths. The company began in Dubuque in 1902 and employed eight workmen.

The 1903 Dubuque County Rural Route Directory through the 1916-1917 White's Dubuque County Directory stated that this business was located at 145 8th.

The 1922 and 1923 Dubuque City Directory listed 245 W. 8th.



"Dubuque's Annual Furt Business Largest of Any City in State," Telegraph Herald, March 24, 1910, p. 1