"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
In 1909 the company began handling automobiles serving as agents for the Franklin, Lewis and Vielie. (2)
In 1914 Dodge Brothers, Detroit announced its selection of Byrne Brothers to be the local Dodge automobile dealer in Dubuque. Competition for dealerships was very competitive with as many as thirty-one applications being sent from some of the largest cities in the nation. The Dodge Brothers company at the time was the largest manufacturer of automobile parts in the world. The Byrne Brothers were as curious as everyone else in the nation about the "Car of Mystery" they would be handling because no word had been given out as to price, dimensions, or equipment. (3) In 1915 the company was a local dealer of Fisk tires.
Between 1918 and 1934 there was also the BYRNE BROS. TRANSFER COMPANY.
The 1878-79 through 1886-1887 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was to be found at the corner of 7th and Locust. The undertaking business was at 158 to 160 7th.
The 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory listed 9th and Iowa.
The 1899-1900 Dubuque City Directory listed 701 Locust.
The 1909 Dubuque City Directory gave the company address as 902-940 Iowa.
The 1911-12 Dubuque City Directory listed 701 Locust and 902-940 Iowa.
The 1913 Dubuque and Dubuque County Directory and the 1915 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at 37 Julien Avenue.
The 1918 Dubuque City Directory through the 1937 Dubuque Consurvey Directory listed the corner of Iowa and 9th.
The 1939 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 900 Iowa.
1. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, December 18, 1877, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18771218&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Gets Agency for New Car," Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, August 30, 1914, p. 10