"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
BROWN, Glenn. (Wilson, NY, Dec. 22, 1857--Dubuque, IA, June 4, 1935). Brown came to Iowa in 1881 at the suggestion of his uncle, Edward J. Holmes, clerk of the Iowa Supreme Court. He studied law in the office of Shiras, Van Duzee and Henderson until 1882 when Iowa was divided into two federal districts. Oliver Perry SHIRAS was appointed judge of the northern district and Alonzo J. Van Duzee was appointed clerk of the new division of federal court. Brown administered the oath of office to both.
David B. HENDERSON joined a new firm. Brown had the choice of going with him or joining Judge Shiras in the new office in the federal building. He went with Judge Shiras and remained a student for another year.
Brown joined the bar in 1883 and practiced privately for eight years before joining Judge J. B. Powers and Judge B. W. Lacy in the firm of Powers, Lacy and Brown.
Brown served on the board of directors of the UNIVERSITY OF DUBUQUE and secretary of its executive committee. He was the third president of the Dubuque Rotary Club and president of the Dubuque County Bar Association. Mayor Saul appointed him to replace Judge Shiras on the park board.
"Glenn Brown, Noted Dubuque Lawyer, Dies," Telegraph Herald, June 5, 1935, p. 1. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=hgFCAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UKoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4188,2206869&dq=eagle+point+park+dubuque&hl=en