"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "BISSELL, Lester C."

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 3: Line 3:
 
In 1890, the partnership creating the H. B. Glover & Company was replaced by the incorporation known as the [[H. B. GLOVER COMPANY]]. Those incorporating the company and serving on the board of directors included [[GLOVER, Henry B.|Henry B. GLOVER]], John B. Glover, Lester C. Bissell, Alonzo J. Parker, and William P. Bingham. There was no change in the management of the company. (2) When he died in 1933, Bissell was serving as chairman of the board. (3)
 
In 1890, the partnership creating the H. B. Glover & Company was replaced by the incorporation known as the [[H. B. GLOVER COMPANY]]. Those incorporating the company and serving on the board of directors included [[GLOVER, Henry B.|Henry B. GLOVER]], John B. Glover, Lester C. Bissell, Alonzo J. Parker, and William P. Bingham. There was no change in the management of the company. (2) When he died in 1933, Bissell was serving as chairman of the board. (3)
  
Lester was one of the people who incorporated The Country Club Company in 1899. With a capital stock of $10,000, this company purchased the land and then leased it to the Dubuque Golf Club (later [[DUBUQUE GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB]]) for $303 annually. (4) As the president of the club in 1900, he accompanied a team from the club to the Des Moines tournament. The train they traveled aboard supplied a special sleeping car for the occasion. (5)
+
Lester was impressed by the interest of his son and some of his friends in the game of golf. They had laid out the "old nine" on land owned by [[BRADLEY, William L.|William L. BRADLEY]]. Ambitious to own their own land, The Country Club Company was incorporated by Lester C. Bissell and others in 1899. (4) In September, 1902 there was a new incorporation with a capital stock of $10,000. This company purchased property and then leased it to the Dubuque Golf Club (later [[DUBUQUE GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB]]) for $303 annually. (5) As the president of the club in 1900, he accompanied a team from the club to the Des Moines tournament. The train they traveled aboard supplied a special sleeping car for the occasion. (6)
  
 
He  served as the secretary of the Humane Society in 1904, president of the [[DUBUQUE INDUSTRIAL CORPORATION]] in 1911, member of the Allison-Henderson Memorial Association in 1913, and member of the board of directors of the [[IOWA TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK]] for decades.  
 
He  served as the secretary of the Humane Society in 1904, president of the [[DUBUQUE INDUSTRIAL CORPORATION]] in 1911, member of the Allison-Henderson Memorial Association in 1913, and member of the board of directors of the [[IOWA TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK]] for decades.  
Line 19: Line 19:
 
4. Grimm, Maud. "60-Year-Old Institution Outlives Its Limit," ''The Telegraph-Herald'', November 22, 1959, p. 6
 
4. Grimm, Maud. "60-Year-Old Institution Outlives Its Limit," ''The Telegraph-Herald'', November 22, 1959, p. 6
  
5. "City News in Brief," ''The Dubuque Herald'', August 29, 1900, p. 5
+
5. Ibid.
 +
 
 +
6. "City News in Brief," ''The Dubuque Herald'', August 29, 1900, p. 5
  
 
[[Category: Civic Leader]]
 
[[Category: Civic Leader]]
 
[[Category: Business Leader]]
 
[[Category: Business Leader]]

Revision as of 16:07, 25 November 2020

BISSELL, Lester C. (Dubuque, IA, 1852-1933). The father of Frederick Ezekiel BISSELL, Lester was an important individual in the development of Dubuque. The Dubuque City Council considered the proposal of several prominent businessmen in 1889 to construct the Main Street and High Bridge Railway Company. Those involved in the venture included Lester C. Bissell, James LEVI, C. M. Peaslee, Alonzo J. Parker, George W. Kiesel, A. C. Buettel, F. A. Rumpf, Dorrance Dixon MYERS, John Peter ELLWANGER and John M. MCDONALD. (1)

In 1890, the partnership creating the H. B. Glover & Company was replaced by the incorporation known as the H. B. GLOVER COMPANY. Those incorporating the company and serving on the board of directors included Henry B. GLOVER, John B. Glover, Lester C. Bissell, Alonzo J. Parker, and William P. Bingham. There was no change in the management of the company. (2) When he died in 1933, Bissell was serving as chairman of the board. (3)

Lester was impressed by the interest of his son and some of his friends in the game of golf. They had laid out the "old nine" on land owned by William L. BRADLEY. Ambitious to own their own land, The Country Club Company was incorporated by Lester C. Bissell and others in 1899. (4) In September, 1902 there was a new incorporation with a capital stock of $10,000. This company purchased property and then leased it to the Dubuque Golf Club (later DUBUQUE GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB) for $303 annually. (5) As the president of the club in 1900, he accompanied a team from the club to the Des Moines tournament. The train they traveled aboard supplied a special sleeping car for the occasion. (6)

He served as the secretary of the Humane Society in 1904, president of the DUBUQUE INDUSTRIAL CORPORATION in 1911, member of the Allison-Henderson Memorial Association in 1913, and member of the board of directors of the IOWA TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK for decades.

---

Source:

1. "City Council," The Herald, August 6, 1889, p. 4

2. "H. B. Glover Company Incorporated," The Dubuque Herald, January 1, 1891, p. 4

3. "Funerals," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, January 29, 1933, p. 17

4. Grimm, Maud. "60-Year-Old Institution Outlives Its Limit," The Telegraph-Herald, November 22, 1959, p. 6

5. Ibid.

6. "City News in Brief," The Dubuque Herald, August 29, 1900, p. 5