"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
In 1990 Berryman left WDBQ to become the public relations director for FINLEY HOSPITAL (THE). After receiving his master's degree in history from LORAS COLLEGE, he was hired in 1993 as editor of the Register Printing Company of East Dubuque. (1) He served as managing editor of the East Dubuque (IL) Register from 1993-1997. In 1997 he was hired to be the editor of the "Northwest Country Tymes, a weekly newspaper published in Elizabeth, Illinois. (2) He then served as news director and morning show host for WPVL AM/FM in Platteville, Wisconsin.
Early in 1999, Berryman returned to Dubuque as the assignment editor for KFXB-TV and the morning news anchor for Cumulus radio stations. In 2000 he had full-time radio duties for Cumulus. (3)
Berryman served two terms as president of the Dubuque Evening Optimists, two years as president of the DUBUQUE BOYS' CLUB Boosters, and twelve years as president of Dubuque Child Care. Berryman served as chairman of Dubuque's Transit Board. (4) In 2009 he was the commander of Dubuque Legion Post 6. (5) He also enjoyed roles in amateur plays. (6)
Recognition for his broadcasting skill included the top award for public affairs programming for the "Pulse of Dubuque" in 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1989 from the Iowa Broadcast News Association. In 1988 he received the State Media Award from the Iowa Mental Health Association. In 1989 Berryman received second place in the category Newscast Among Major Markets in Iowa from the Iowa Broadcast News Association. The U. S. Small Business Administration named Berryman at Iowa Small Business Media Advocate of the Year in 2001. (7)
1. Bergstrom, Kathy. Register Marks 100th Year," Telegraph Herald, December 27, 1993, p. 3
2. Sisko, Becky, "Jo Daviess Folks Get a Big Choice in News," Telegraph Herald, September 22, 1997, p. 2
3. "Small-Business Agency Honors Berryman with Advocate Award," Telegraph Herald, Aporil 23, 2001, p. 11
4. Bigelow, Bruce. Transit Board Raps Agency's Inaction," Telegraph Herald, July 11, 1980, p. 7
5. "Salute to Old Glory," Telegraph Herald, June 14, 2009, p. 13
6. Gloss, Megan. "...and the Winner Is," Telegraph Herald, August 23, 2009, p. 37
7. "Small-Business Agency..."