"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
BANK AND INSURANCE BUILDING COMPANY
BANK AND INSURANCE BUILDING COMPANY. The Bank and Insurance Building Company was incorporated on August 15, 1894 with a paid up capital of $300,000. The board of directors included Thomas CONNOLLY, Frank D. STOUT, James H. SHIELDS, E. A. Engler, and Nicholas J. SCHRUP, Sr.. These business leaders had previously purchased the Cox lot on the northwest corner of 9th and Main in May 1893 and then in July 1894 the Wells-Ham lot next to the corner. Together these two properties made a site 102 x 114 square feet.
The board immediately advertised for plans for a building that became the BANK AND INSURANCE BUILDING. The first occupants were in the building around Thanksgiving, 1895. In 1896, 75% of the stock in the company was owned by the previously named men and Augustin A. COOPER, Maurice BROWN, Henry L. STOUT, T. C. Lawler, and W. W. Carr.
The 1937 Dubuque Consurvey Directory listed 915 Main.
"Bank and Insurance Building," Dubuque Daily Herald, January 25, 1896, p. 19