"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




AVON THEATER

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Illustration by Norman Zepeski
Trade Card. Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque
AVON THEATER. The Avon, one of the Bradley Theaters along with the GRAND THEATRE, STRAND THEATER, and STATE THEATRE, was the successor of the PRINCESS THEATRE. Through a contest in which entrants suggested alternative names for the theater, the Princess was renamed the Avon in August 1928. Programs, other than the "Golddiggers of Broadway" which ran an unprecedented seventeen days, were changed twice each week. The address listed in the 1955 Dubuque City Directory was 869 Main.

Competition from other sources of entertainment, including the automobile and radio, continued to affect the financial fortunes of the Avon. In succession the theater was operated as a nickelodeon, first-run house, and then a second-run house. In 1956 the Avon was reduced to showing second run movies three days per week. On April 1, 1957, the theater was demolished in preparation for the construction of a J. C. Penney store.

See: MARKET PLACE DUBUQUE.