"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "AUGUST KAISER AND COMPANY"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
AUGUST KAISER AND COMPANY. Kaiser's Vinegar Works were established by August Kaiser on February 1, 1856. In the fall of 1868, in order to meet the increasing requirements of his trade, he built a new works at the foot of Ninth Street. According to the ''Times'' of March 9, 1873 this was destroyed by fire.
+
AUGUST KAISER AND COMPANY. Kaiser's Vinegar Works were established by [[KAISER, August|August KAISER]] on February 1, 1856. In the fall of 1868, in order to meet the increasing requirements of his trade, he built a new works at the foot of Ninth Street. According to the ''Times'' of March 9, 1873 this was destroyed by fire.
  
 
The 1856-1857 ''Dubuque City Directory'' gave the address as Couler Avenue in King's Addition.
 
The 1856-1857 ''Dubuque City Directory'' gave the address as Couler Avenue in King's Addition.

Latest revision as of 20:17, 9 October 2018

AUGUST KAISER AND COMPANY. Kaiser's Vinegar Works were established by August KAISER on February 1, 1856. In the fall of 1868, in order to meet the increasing requirements of his trade, he built a new works at the foot of Ninth Street. According to the Times of March 9, 1873 this was destroyed by fire.

The 1856-1857 Dubuque City Directory gave the address as Couler Avenue in King's Addition.

The 1858-1859 Dubuque City Directory listed Couler Avenue in King's Addition.

The 1859-1860 Dubuque City Directory listed Couler north of Eagle Point Avenue.

The 1865 Dubuque City Directory listed Couler Avenue.

In 1866, Kaiser became associated with A. Kammen in the business. This arrangement, however, ended at the end of a year.

The 1867 Dubuque City Directory gave the address for this business as the west side of Couler Avenue 2 north of the IOWA BREWERY.

The 1868 Guide, Gazetteer and Directory of the Dubuque & Soux (sic) City Railroad stated that this business was located at the foot of Ninth.

The 1875-1876 through 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory gave the corner of 9th and Pine as the company address.

The 1880 Dubuque City Directory listed 2419 Couler.

In 1890 the business yielded $25,000 annually.