"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "ALLIED CAMERA"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 3: Line 3:
 
ALLIED CAMERA/ALLIED CAMERA CENTRE.  In 1947 Dolores Henkels opened Allied Camera after photographic equipment again became available after [[WORLD WAR II]]. She was unique in two important ways. She was a woman operating her own business and a woman in a technical business generally dominated by males. Her husband was a firefighter in East Dubuque.
 
ALLIED CAMERA/ALLIED CAMERA CENTRE.  In 1947 Dolores Henkels opened Allied Camera after photographic equipment again became available after [[WORLD WAR II]]. She was unique in two important ways. She was a woman operating her own business and a woman in a technical business generally dominated by males. Her husband was a firefighter in East Dubuque.
  
When it opened at 13th Street and Central Avenue, Allied Camera had one of the first "automatic" black & white processing machines. The machine took three people to operate and all the work was done in a darkroom. The company maintained its reputation for offering the most advanced equipment in the photographic field. The business became a family operation when Mary Beth Henkels, (later [[SPRENGELMEYER, Mary Beth|Mary Beth SPRENGELMEYER]]) began working at the store at the age of nine rubber-stamping logos on envelopes after school. In high school, she began building her knowledge of the products. (1)
+
When it opened at 13th Street and Central Avenue, Allied Camera had one of the first "automatic" black & white processing machines. The machine took three people to operate and all the work was done in a darkroom. The company maintained its reputation for offering the most advanced equipment in the photographic field.  
  
Allied Camera moved in the mid-1950s to Fourth Street near the [[ORPHEUM]]. [[URBAN RENEWAL]] in 1968 led the business to relocate to the Graham Building across the street from [[AMERICAN TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK]]. In 1970 the company moved in May into the remodeled first floor of the Nesler Centre at Eighth and Main. (2) In 1984 Sprengelmeyer acquired the business. Continuing the company's interest in providing up-to-date equipment, one of the first purchases was a Creat-a-Print machine that could make enlarged color prints from negatives in four minutes. In 1987 a one-hour photo processing shop was opened in [[ARMSTRONG'S DEPARTMENT STORE]] in [[KENNEDY MALL]]. (3)
+
The business became a family operation when Mary Beth Henkels, (later [[SPRENGELMEYER, Mary Beth|Mary Beth SPRENGELMEYER]]) began working at the store at the age of nine rubber-stamping logos on envelopes after school. In high school, she began building her knowledge of the products. (1)
 +
 
 +
Allied Camera moved in the mid-1950s to Fourth Street near the [[ORPHEUM]]. [[URBAN RENEWAL]] in 1968 led the business to relocate to the Graham Building across the street from [[AMERICAN TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK]]. In 1970 the company moved in May into the remodeled first floor of the Nesler Centre at Eighth and Main. (2)  
 +
 
 +
In 1984 Sprengelmeyer acquired the business. Continuing the company's interest in providing up-to-date equipment, one of the first purchases was a Creat-a-Print machine capable of making enlarged color prints from negatives in four minutes. In 1987 a one-hour photo processing shop was opened in [[ARMSTRONG'S DEPARTMENT STORE]] in [[KENNEDY MALL]]. (3)
  
 
The company celebrated its grand opening at 2300 John F. Kennedy Road in October, 1991. (4)  
 
The company celebrated its grand opening at 2300 John F. Kennedy Road in October, 1991. (4)  
  
The 1948 ''Dubuque Classified Business Directory'' through 1951 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 1369 Central.
+
The 1948 '''Dubuque Classified Business Directory''' through 1951 '''Dubuque City Directory''' listed 1369 Central.
  
The 1955 through 1968 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 400 Main.
+
The 1955 through 1968 '''Dubuque City Directory''' listed 400 Main.
  
The 1970 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 230 W. 8th. Avenue.
+
The 1970 '''Dubuque City Directory''' listed 230 W. 8th. Avenue.
  
The 1972 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 230 W. 8th.  
+
The 1972 '''Dubuque City Directory''' listed 230 W. 8th.  
  
The 1974 through 1989 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 799 Main.
+
The 1974 through 1989 '''Dubuque City Directory''' listed 799 Main.
  
The 1993 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed 8th and Town Clock Plaza.
+
The 1993 '''Dubuque City Directory''' listed 8th and Town Clock Plaza.
  
 
In 1999 the company was located in Theisen's at 2900 Dodge and Town Clock Plaza.
 
In 1999 the company was located in Theisen's at 2900 Dodge and Town Clock Plaza.

Latest revision as of 21:45, 2 December 2019

1999 advertisement. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

ALLIED CAMERA/ALLIED CAMERA CENTRE. In 1947 Dolores Henkels opened Allied Camera after photographic equipment again became available after WORLD WAR II. She was unique in two important ways. She was a woman operating her own business and a woman in a technical business generally dominated by males. Her husband was a firefighter in East Dubuque.

When it opened at 13th Street and Central Avenue, Allied Camera had one of the first "automatic" black & white processing machines. The machine took three people to operate and all the work was done in a darkroom. The company maintained its reputation for offering the most advanced equipment in the photographic field.

The business became a family operation when Mary Beth Henkels, (later Mary Beth SPRENGELMEYER) began working at the store at the age of nine rubber-stamping logos on envelopes after school. In high school, she began building her knowledge of the products. (1)

Allied Camera moved in the mid-1950s to Fourth Street near the ORPHEUM. URBAN RENEWAL in 1968 led the business to relocate to the Graham Building across the street from AMERICAN TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK. In 1970 the company moved in May into the remodeled first floor of the Nesler Centre at Eighth and Main. (2)

In 1984 Sprengelmeyer acquired the business. Continuing the company's interest in providing up-to-date equipment, one of the first purchases was a Creat-a-Print machine capable of making enlarged color prints from negatives in four minutes. In 1987 a one-hour photo processing shop was opened in ARMSTRONG'S DEPARTMENT STORE in KENNEDY MALL. (3)

The company celebrated its grand opening at 2300 John F. Kennedy Road in October, 1991. (4)

The 1948 Dubuque Classified Business Directory through 1951 Dubuque City Directory listed 1369 Central.

The 1955 through 1968 Dubuque City Directory listed 400 Main.

The 1970 Dubuque City Directory listed 230 W. 8th. Avenue.

The 1972 Dubuque City Directory listed 230 W. 8th.

The 1974 through 1989 Dubuque City Directory listed 799 Main.

The 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 8th and Town Clock Plaza.

In 1999 the company was located in Theisen's at 2900 Dodge and Town Clock Plaza.

---

Source:

1. Smith, Rick. "A Picture of Family Cooperation," Telegraph Herald, December 30, 1990, p. 23

2. "One by One They Fall to Renewal," Telegraph Herald, April 26, 1970, p. 15

3. Smith

4. Advertisement. Telegraph Herald, October 31, 1991, p. 12